The Shadows Of Yesterday {23}

I was not a good judge of character, but Ziv typically was.

He was level-headed, able to admit when he had a bias and work past it to get a read on people. I figured if anyone could get an accurate read on Arlo's intentions and be honest with me about them it would be Ziv.

So we walked together through campus. I hated how on-edge I felt lately, trying desperately to hide it from Ziv.

"Jeremy," he said with a sigh. "Will you just tell me what's going on? You're acting weird."

"Am I?" I said, glancing at him casually.

"You keep fidgeting with your watch," he pointed out.

I looked down and realized that I was, indeed, fidgeting with my watch. I dropped my hands to my sides.

"I just...thought we could grab a drink, sit outside, and..."

"And?" he prompted when I didn't finish.

"Invite Arlo?" I winced a little. So much for tact.

"Oh. You should've just said," he said.

I looked at him in surprise, unable to help it. He wasn't mad?

He frowned at my expression, brows starting to knit into anger. I quickly cut my gaze away. Ah, there was the anger.

But when he spoke, his voice was calm and casual. "Jer, he didn't seem that annoying when I met him. Relax, will you?"

"I've just been stressed lately. It leaves me tenser than usual," I said, rubbing the back of my neck.

We entered the Student Union building together and went back to the Starbucks section. I took out my phone and texted Arlo to meet us outside at the fountain if he wanted to, hoping he actually showed. I'd feel bad if I'd dragged Ziv out here for nothing.

We grabbed drinks and went out to the fountain. It was a little cloudy out today, but I still tipped my head up towards the sky, trying to catch the few rays of sun that slipped past the clouds.

"Has Seth met him yet?" Ziv asked.

"Yes," I said. "He met all of them. We had dinner together."

"Oh?" He sounded surprised.

"He likes some of them," I said.

"Just some?" Ziv said.

I shrugged. "It wasn't a long dinner. We left early. I didn't feel good."

"It's the college food. Gives the best of us gas, if we're lucky," Ziv said.

"Unlucky?" I said.

"Slap some caution tape on the bathroom door on your way in," Ziv said.

"Gross," I said, digging my elbow into his arm as he laughed at his own stupid joke.

"Hey! Jeremy!"

I looked over my shoulder as Arlo stepped up to us. He was slightly winded, face flushed like he'd run to get here. He sat down next to me.

"I've got a meeting soon," he said apologetically. "Are you feeling better, though?"

"Yea," I said, then frowned. "Arlo, you didn't have to come if you're busy."

He mirrored my frown. "Well, I wanted to know if you were okay. And I've got a few minutes before I gotta head out again. I was on my way up here for the meeting, anyway. It worked out."

I held my drink out to him. He took it gratefully, sipping from the straw for a few seconds before handing it back. Some of the color faded from his face at the cold drink.