Chapter 3: Diagon Alley

Newt awoke and attempted to sit up. His brother was still asleep in the bed next to him. The time on the clock read 7:43 AM. Once he was able to sit up with minor pain he tried to stand. It took a couple of tries but he was able to get up. Newt took one last look at his sleeping brother before slipping out the door, forgetting his shirt. He walked into the living room and looked out the window, admiring the street covered in gleaming white crystals. He looked at his calendar, two weeks until Christmas! Merlin's beard, how had he forgotten? Well, with the wedding and Grindelwald still on the loose, they all had a lot to think about. Suddenly he got an idea. This was going to be fun!

One by one, everyone in the house woke up and trickled into the living room and kitchen. Nagini entered first, Jacob and Queenie second, Tina third, Bunty fourth, and Theseus fifth. They were all equally excited when they noticed the snow. Newt grinned at his brother as a thought crossed their minds: Christmas shopping at Diagon Alley! Queenie clapped with glee and Nagini and Tina cheered with excitement. Jacob just stared in awe, wondering what on earth Diagon Alley was.

After making pancakes for everyone (Newt knows how to cook)they all returned to their rooms to get dressed in warm clothing.

"Mercy Lewis!" Tina exclaimed. She had never been to London before, let alone Diagon Alley. Nagini started tearing up at all the dress shops. Jacob resisted the urge to run through the pastry shop like a little kid. Theseus lead Tina to Flourish and Blotts so they could look at the new books. Newt pulled his Hufflepuff scarf up around his mouth as he followed his brother and gir- friend, his friend, into the shop. The smell of fresh parchment reached his nose, a smile slipping across his face. The three walked around the shop until Tina let out a shocked gasp. "Newt, you never told me you finished your book!" Theseus turned to look at him, a look of mock betrayal on his face. "You never told me you were writing a book!" Newt ducked his head down, shyly, and pulled his scarf up to his blush of embarrassment. Sadly, Tina had mentioned his name too loudly and everyone in the store went silent. People came rushing up to him. "Will you please sign this book for my daughter, you're her favorite author!" Newt took the book, and many others that were thrown, some literally, in his direction. Newt's blush deepend.

After signing about 50 copies of his book, he bought six of them and the group left the store. When they came out, Queenie and Nagini were carrying bags, probably full of dresses, and Jacob was munching happily on an Occamy roll.

"Come on, I have one more thing to show you before we grab lunch." Newt announced. The five of them followed him into another shop. The bell just above the door dinged as they entered. The shop smelled of wood and magic.

"Hello, welcome to Ollivander's. My name is Garrick Ollivander." an old man behind the counter greeted them. His eyes twinkled with a mischievous grin when the six walked up. "How can I help you? Would any of you like to try out a wand?" Jacob and Nagini stepped forward. The man disappeared for a moment, muttering to himself about unicorns and dragon heart strings. Finally he came back with two wand boxes. Picking the wands up reverently, he handed them both a wand.

"Well, give it a wave," he exclaimed. Nagini's wand glowed, while Jacob's caused Newt to get dragged around the store by his scarf, screaming. "No! No! Definitely not!" Theseus helped his brother to his feet, smirking slightly as if to say, 'I'm so going to make fun of you for this later'. Newt just rolled his eyes, accepting his brother's hand. Ollivander disappeared behind the shelves of wands and came back with another one. "9 ½ inch, dragon heartstring." Newt cringed, bracing for impact. Jacob's wand glowed, a white light at the end. This was his wand. His wand. The words made him feel tingly inside, he now had magic! Newt pulled out a couple of galleons and paid for both wands. As they were leaving the shop, Ollivander eyed Newt's wand. Newt caught his eye then broke it as he exited. Something was definitely off.

The six of them were now sitting at a round table close to the fire, all of them slowly, or quickly, in Nagini's case, nursing their butterbeers. Soon, three bread-bowl soups, two fish and chips, one order of Shepard's pie, and another round of butterbeers floated over to their table. Nagini and Jacob chugged another mug full of creamy, butterscotch, goodness. Tina was laughing at Newt, seeing as he had a foamy, white mustache coating his upper lip. Tina and Queenie finally stopped laughing after about five minutes, still clutching their stomachs. Everyone was happy. Everything was good. Of course, their world would be falling apart at the seams soon, but for now, everyone enjoyed the warmth of the cold season. Even Grindelwald took breaks.