Chapter 11: For the Greater Good

"Absolutely not!" Newt screamed. "No, no, no, no, no, a million times no!" Newt repeated, over and over.

"Artemis, please, it's the only way." Newt looked at his brother then at Tina, then back to his brother. He wore the most broken look Theseus had ever seen. Then the most defeated look he had ever seen. With a final sigh from Newt, he said, "Fine. But I'm doing this to end the war, I'm doing this for the greater good." Newt looked him dead in the eyes, which he rarely did, then walked up the stairs to his room. He walked back out 10 seconds later because the guilt was eating away at him for not wishing them both a good night's rest. He gave Tina a quick peck on the cheek before slinking off to bed.

The next morning, Newt trudged down the stairs. Theseus, Tina, and Queenie, Queenie because of his thoughts, winced as they took in his haggard appearance. His face was pale and sweaty, he had dark bags under his eyes, and his hair was a mess, sticking up in all different directions.

"He's feeling nauseous as well," Queenie supplied, the group noticing that he was clutching his stomach. Hazel kissed her son's forehead as Queenie gave him a cup of tea. Little did Newt know that Queenie had spiked it with a healing potion to calm him and help with his stomach. Jacob walked over to him and gave him a light pat on the shoulder.

"Hey, buddy, are you doing okay?" Newt just gave him a weak smile.

"I'll be okay," Newt assured his muggle friend. "Hey, what if Queenie came along? She can read minds, she can tell if Frank is lying or not." Newt suggested. Jacob stood up from his place at the table. "She can go on one condition; I go with you all."

"Frank is my husband. I want answers as to why he's following Grindelwald. I deserve answers. I'll stand outside the room, but I'm going with you guys.It's my job to look after you all." When Theseus and Newt tried to object, Hazel pulled her 'mom face' and cut off any further resistance to her presence. Hazel winked at Tina, who smiled in return.

"You need someone to look after the creatures in your case, but seeing as you will never leave the case behind, I'll come to the Ministry as well. Plus, I want to come too." Bunty was now standing amongst the group.

"We can't leave Nagini and Credence here, Nagini is still learning protective magic. It might be best to take them with us." Queenie added, the two teens nodded in agreement at this. Newt and Theseus both pinched the bridge of their nose, looking more like brothers in that moment than Jacob had ever seen them. The Goldstein sisters couldn't help but agree. Finally, Theseus sighed, already in annoyed auror mode, before looking at the group.

"Fine, it's settled. We'll bring everyone but you all have to promise not to get captured or let my..." he shuddered before continuing, "father get into your heads." Theseus said, before letting out another annoyed sigh. He shot a worried glance at his brother, he did not like where any of this was going. The Scamander brothers had gotten closer since Paris and neither one wanted to lose the other. Theseus remembers how furious he was at Newt for joining a war, furious at the thought that his little brother just wanted to throw away his life to protect others. But he was also afraid. Afraid of the danger, afraid of losing him. Not wanting to drown in his anxieties about losing Newt, Theseus double tapped his wrist, where he could feel his pulse, a number of times to ground himself. The eldest Scamander ignored the look of worry he got from his brother and Queenie as they all continued into the kitchen to finish up breakfast and head to the Ministry.

"Woah, woah, slow down," The Americans, except for Tina, urged, trying to take in all the sights this magical building had to offer. The Scamander brothers were leading the pack, along with Tina. The group separated a moment later when Hazel suggested they ask for a tour while the others attended to their business. The Americans and Nagini thought about it for a moment before wandering off to go find a willing tour guide. Hazel, Queenie, Tina, Newt, and Theseus entered the elevator and took it down to the interrogation floor. Newt sucked in a forced breath, feeling his bowtie constrict his breathing, before Newt, Theseus, and two other aurors entered the room. Frank Scamander was in iron-clad cuffs, with a strength spell cast on them to see that they didn't break. He leaned back in his metal chair as much as the cuffs would allow him to recline, sitting cross-legged, albeit awkwardly.