Chapter 4: Home for Christmas

The brothers had quite a rude awakening the next morning when an owl slammed into their window, scaring poor Newt. Now Theseus just pointed and laughed as his little brother was attempting to get untangled from the bedsheets as he dangled off the side of the bed (this happened to me once). Once he was finally unstuck, he rolled off the bed and stood up, walking over to the window. Theseus had beat him to it and was untying the letter from the snowy owl's leg. Theseus took the letter and sat down on his bed, Newt plopping down next to him. Newt peered over his shoulder as they started to read.

My dear sons, I hope you both are doing well and are in good health. I know that Christmas is creeping around the corner and I would like to invite both of you to a Christmas party at our house.

You are welcome to invite your other friends as well. It would be nice to know how you are doing, especially since you don't write anymore. I would love to meet your friends and that special someone that Theseus has mentioned a time or two.

The party will be held on December 24th, at 7 pm. I hope to see you both there and I hope you are doing well.

Sincerely,

Hazel Scamander

The two boys looked at each other after they finished reading.

"Sounds fun, I think we should go. We can invite everyone, even Bunty, since she did help save the wizarding world." Newt suggested, his brother just nodded in agreement.

Newt put on some slippers and attempted to tame his unruly curls, which had become even more messed up since his wrestle with the sheets. After about five minutes he gave up with a frustrated groan and headed downstairs. Theseus stood up, straightened his blue and white striped pajamas and followed Newt to the kitchen. Knowing how his little brother felt about his curls, he ruffled his hair. Newt glared at Theseus, resembling a Niffler whenever Newt tried to take back Tina's necklace.

"Good morning, everyone. Um... so, I just got a letter from my mum this morning, asking if we wanted to come to a Christmas party at our house." Newt found his shoes incredibly interesting as he shyly introduced the idea.

"That sounds fun! When can we go?" Nagini chirped.

"I would love to go! Jacob," Queenie turned to her husband, "what do you think?" The man in question excitedly agreed to the family gathering. Tina was silent. I get to meet Newt's mother. What if she doesn't like me? Queenie heard her sister say. Newt turned to Tina, trying to mask his worry, hoping she would say yes. "You know what? Sure, I'm in!" Newt tried not to look like an over-excited baby Niffler. Thank Merlin they all said yes.

"When should we start packing?" Tina asked. "Right after breakfast," Queenie offered. They quickly whipped up some breakfast and then headed off to their own rooms to pack.

Finally, everyone had finished packing, making sure to hide their gifts for everyone else, and it was time to go. Newt pulled out a velvety, green bag. He instructed everyone to hold out their hand as he put green powder into each one. Theseus pulled out his own bag and stepped into the fireplace.

"What you're going to do is, you're going to say the name of the place you want to go, make sure you speak very clearly, and throw the powder onto the ground." He paused. "Scamander Manor," The older Scamander shouted, throwing the powder down and disappearing in a flurry of green fire. Tina went next. Then Bunty, then Queenie, then Jacob, then Nagini, and finally Newt. He threw the powder into the fireplace and appeared at his childhood home. He coughed slightly as he stirred up dust and stepped onto the marble floor. The house was warm, bright, and decorated. There were a few ornaments on the table, waiting to be put on the tree. Newt started to look for everyone else but didn't have time as a red blur came dashing toward him. Newt wrapped his arms around his mother's waist and she pulled him into a bone-crushing hug.

"Son, I've missed you so much! You never write, oh I do hope you're alright. You're so skinny, come, sit down, we're just about to eat dinner. We weren't expecting you so soon!" Hazel Scamander was 5 foot 4 inches with bright red hair, freckles, and a smile with a brightness that could rival the sun's. She yanked his arm, nearly dislocating his shoulder, over to the table where his friends and brother were sitting. Setting a plate down in front of him, she beamed and asked,

"How have you all been doing?" She shifted her gaze to Tina as Theseus was stabbing his eggs, Jacob was digging into the amazing food, Queenie picked up her fork, and Newt, Tina, and Bunty were just staring.

"You must be Tina, dear, Newton's told me so much about you." Tina noticed pink spread across said person's cheeks and seemed very interested in his eggs that were growing cold. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Scamander, I'm a friend of your sons." Newt introduced all of his friends.

"I am delighted to meet you all. Newton, Theseus darling, your father will be home from the Ministry soon." Newt felt his heart drop at the mention of his father. His father hated him, said it to his face multiple times, the only things that would love him were his creatures. Though, neither of them spoke with Hazel or Theseus about this. Newt was abused in silence for years. And he was about to be stuck in a house with his tormentor for three days.

OH MY GOSH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE READS! I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE WOULD READ THIS. I'M SO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN A FEW DAYS, I HAD COLLEGE FINAL EXAMS FOR MATH. THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN FOR THE READS AND I SHOULD BE ABLE TO UPDATE MORE FREQUENTLY.

-Newt Scamander lover