[1] Valentine's Day in Detroit

Word Count: 3,537

Valentine's Day is an interesting holiday. For some people, it's a day to celebrate love and relationships; a day to give everyone hugs and kisses and make people happy. For others, it's a day to celebrate family and friendship. For others, it's a miserable day of wallowing in misery, self-pity and loneliness. For the most unfortunate of people, it's a mix of all of the above.

"Ay Connor, who are the flowers from?" Hank asked suggestively, motioning to the beautiful flowers sitting in a makeshift vase (a beer bottle that had been emptied and filled with water) in the middle of the kitchen table.
"Those are from me," Connor replied simply, looking up from his seat on the floor, where he was being tackled by Sumo.
"From you?" Hank laughed, "What, you gonna give them to a girlfriend or something I don't know about? That Chloe girl? Wow, there's a card and everything-"
"No. I'm not...interested in Chloe like that. At least, not that I know of," Connor replied, an eyebrow slightly raised in confusion.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Hank chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest.
"They're for you, Hank," Connor told Hank with a proud smile.
Now, it was Hank's turn to be confused.

HANK ˅

"What the hell do I need flowers for?" He asked, frowning.

[ X I Tell the truth ]
[ O I Lie ]

[X]

"Well, I was told that it's Valentine's Day, today, and that Valentine's Day is very important to a lot of people. I looked it up, and my internal browser told me that you're supposed to purchase things like flowers and chocolates for loved ones to express...well, love," Connor explained, scratching Sumo behind the ears.
"So...you bought me flowers. To show that..." Hank trailed off, frown deepening.
"That I love you. I mean, I am an Android, and many still argue that Androids can not actually feel love, but I think I've gotten as close as I can to it," Connor replied, crossing his legs. There was a heavy silence as Hank mulled over what was said in his head. Connor's head tilted to the side as he scanned Hank carefully.

[R2]

"I can see that I've made you uncomfortable. Was it something I said? I know your allergies are triggered by some kinds of flowers, but I made sure to get the ones that weren't-" Connor began, pushing Sumo slightly off his lap and getting ready to stand up.
"No, Connor. It's not the flowers. I just-" Hank struggled for the right words, but Connor waited patiently as he tried to speak.
"You love me?" Hank asked, running a hand down his face.
"Yes. That is what I said," Connor clarified, "Hank, are you alright?"
"Yes, Connor, I'm fine. I'm just not—I'm not gay," Hank said, shifting uncomfortably, "And I don't have anything against gays! I mean, I don't-"
"Hank, I know you don't have anything against those who identify as homosexual. We had Simon over just last week, when I was getting my Household Android program installed. But I don't see how that's currently relevant to anything," Connor said, scanning Hank again as he tried to figure out where the conversation had gone sideways.
"Connor, you said you loved me. Right?"
"Right. That is correct."
"And you are a guy."
"Technically, I haven't gotten the upgrade that would make me a 'guy' by human standards, but yes, I suppose," Connor agreed, opting not to ask why Hank cringed.
"So you're a guy. And I'm a guy," Hank continued, pinching the bridge of his nose.
"Yes. Hank, I fail to see where you're going with this. I fail to see what gender has to do with me getting flowers for you. If you don't like them, you can throw them away," Connor said, something akin to hurt on his face. He rarely got defensive, so he wasn't too familiar with what it felt like, but he knew it came with rejection (at least that's what Chloe had told him) sometimes. And Hank was definitely rejecting him.
"No, Connor, they're great. But I'm not—I'm not into you like that," Hank said awkwardly, a look of mild disgust crossing his features.
" 'Into'?" Connor echoed, suddenly confused again, "'Into' how?"
"You know! Like how married people are into each-other? Jesus Christ it's like I'm talking to a kid-"