[2] Romeo and Juliet: a Comedy

Word Count: 2,055

     "-The valiant Paris seeks you for his love," Lady Capulet announced excitedly. Juliet was taken aback. Hadn't she just said she didn't want to get married? She was only thirteen! The Nurse was saying something about how cute Paris was, but Juliet could hardly hear her over the sound of her own heartbeat.
     "No!" Juliet said suddenly, before she could stop herself. The Nurse stopped in her tracks. Lady Capulet's face darkened.
     "No?" Lady Capulet repeated.
     "No, I can't. You see...I've fallen in love. With...another man. His wealth is as great as Paris, and he is all the more lovely to look at. If I must marry wealthy for this family, I will. But give myself to Paris, I can't," Juliet lied, thinking off the top of her head. Lady Capulet looked conflicted.
     "I must discuss this with your father. I shall see that you are heard, but nothing can be promised. And who is this wealthy man you speak of? Surely no one I have heard of," she said.
     "He will be here tonight! At the party! If only you will give him a chance," Juliet begged. She had no idea where she was going with this, but she had to stick to it now.
     "Very well, then," Lady Capuler sighed. Just then, the door opened and a servant peeked his head through the door.
     "Madam, they guests are come, supper served up, you called, my young lady asked for, the Nurse cursed in the pantry, and everything in extremity. I must hence to wait. I beseech you, follow straight," he said urgently.
     "We follow thee," said Lady Capulet, standing up, "Juliet, the County stays."
     "Go, girl, seek happy nights to happy days," the Nurse encouraged, giving Juliet a gentle nudge after her mother.

     The party was genuinely going great. There were plenty of rich men around that Juliet could pretend to be with for the moment being, right? But which one...?
     She was beginning to run out of hope when a young man in a nice blue suit and mask approached her.
     "If I profane with my unworthiest hand this holy shrine, the gentle sin is this; my lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss," he said almost immediately, flirty but clearly nervous. Juliet was caught off guard. This boy looked to be only a few years older than her and plenty rich. He could work...maybe. But still, Juliet was uncertain.
     "Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hands too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this; for saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss," she replied, taking a step back. The music in the background slowed, and before Juliet knew it, the boy in blue was sweeping her into a dance.
     "Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?" the boy in blue asked desperately.
     "Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer," Juliet shot back, trying to put some distance between them. This boy was sweet, and handsome, and probably rich, but Juliet had no idea why he was so interested in her. He kept pushing his metaphor and pulling Juliet closer, and a few moments later, he was kissing her. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Maybe this guy genuinely liked her? This could work.
     Until she felt a hand on her shoulder.
     "Madam, your mother craves a word with you," the Nurse said, nodding in Lady Capulet's direction. Juliet gave the boy in blue a sympathetic smile and left.
     "What is her mother?" Romeo asked, confused.
     "Marry, bachelor, her mother is the lady of the house, and a good lady, and a wise and virtuous. I nursed her daughter that you talked withal. I tell you, he that can lay hold of her shall have the chinks," the Nurse replied.
     "Is she a Capulet? O dear account! My life is my foe's debt," Romeo moaned. Benvolio, upon seeing his friend conversing with a Capulet, quickly approached and took Romeo's arm, leading him away.

     "The boy in blue that you asked of is Romeo, and a Montague. The only son of your great enemy," the Nurse reported gravely.
     "This can't be! Oh, now what shall I do?" Juliet sighed heavily. Before the Nurse could ask any questions, Juliet left to sit in a corner of the room, moping. The band still played loudly, which only added to her discomfort.
     "And just what is a beautiful young woman of your kind doing alone? Should you not be in the crowd, being wooed?" a man in purple asked, sliding down to sit next to her. He looked the same age as Romeo.
     "I am miserable," Juliet complained.
     "Why is that? You looked to be having quite a nice time dancing with my friend Romeo," the man in purple smiled a little.
     "He is your friend? So then you are a Montague as well? Oh, I musn't be seen with you-" Juliet said, beginning to stand. The man in purple gently put a hand on her shoulder and guided her back down.
     "You must relax, you might faint if you become any more tense. I am no Montague, though I may as well be. I'm an Escalus. Mercutio. The youngest prince," the man in purple, Mercutio, said calmly, "Though you're not supposed to know that. This is a masquerade, after all."
     "You're a prince and not a Montague?" Juliet asked happily, eyes lighting up, "You must come with me to see my mother. I am supposed to be engaged."
     "Oh, you must know, I-"
     "Not really. I'm not asking you to marry me. But I told my mother I was in love with a rich man, so as to avoid being married off to County Paris. He is far too old for my liking, and I am not sure I enjoy his company," Juliet explained, "I told my mother the man I loved was at this party and that he was to meet her tonight. I would rather die than marry Paris, please, Mercutio, help me."
     Mercutio's eyebrows raised consdierably, but he smiled a little.
     "Sounds mischievous. I'd be happy to help," Mercutio grinned, green eyes bright behind his mask, standing and brushing himself off. He held a hand out to help Juliet up as well, "Now where is your mother? I should be happy to charm her."