[5] Together

Word Count: 2,102

     Lucius had never been one for subtlety. Anything he did, he did with confidence. Anything he said or did could not be used against him: he proudly owned up to anything. He had dignity and specific taste, but no embarrassment. While he might be disgusted at a rumor made about him, nothing said about him could make him ashamed. Once, Wee John had pulled him aside and said, "Buttons thinks you've slept with Izzy." To which Lucius scrunched his nose, and said, "If he wants to fantasize about me, that's fine, but Izzy is not my type." And when Wee John asked, "You have a type?" Lucius replied, "Yes. It consists of everyone but Izzy Hands and all other weasels and snakes."

     So to say the least, Lucius was a straightforward man. He was straightforward with people, and he wanted people to be straightforward with him. Secrets, affairs, quiet love, fleeting flirting- Lucius was not interested.

     Pete knew this, and yet he was hemming and hawing about whether or not he should just ask. All day, he had kept eyes on Lucius, a rehearsed phrase in his head that never quite made it out loud. He approached Lucius several times in hopes that he would finally just say it, but he only ever managed to make small talk. Though he knew his best shot was to be straightforward, Pete was a social dancer. He tiptoed around what needed to be said, danced lines of clarity so as to be able to take back his words if his audience didn't react how he wanted them to.

     He shook his hands and splashed water on his face. He was a pirate, dammit, asking for some clarification shouldn't be this difficult. He had never had this problem before.

     "Pete?" Lucius asked, approaching him. Pete was leaning on the taffrail, watching the sun set on the day he had promised himself he would go through with his question.

     "Yeah?" Pete replied, unable to turn around.

     "Pete?" Lucius asked again, much closer now.

     "I- oh," Pete said quietly, coming nose-to-nose with Lucius as soon as he turned around.

     "Do I make you nervous?" Lucius asked, casually.

     "No," Pete blurted. Lucius squinted, and looked as if he was trying not to smile.

     "Yes," Pete admitted.

     "Mmmmm. Riiiight. So here's what I'm not understanding...we've buggered. A lot. This may be a shocker coming from me, but I feel like that's fairly personal," Lucius said slowly, smiling now. He put his arms on the taffrail on either side of Pete, trapping him in.

     "Right? So I feel like there's not a lot we can't tell each other, and yet...you've been both seeking and avoiding me all day. Why is that?"

     "I don't know what you're talking about," Pete shrugged.

     "Pete, what do you think I'm doing with you?" Lucius asked.

     "I think you're messing with me," Pete said truthfully, eyes darting away.

     "Mmmhm, okay, so...let me know when that changes," Lucius said, and kissed Pete's cheek, "I'll be in my cabin, if you decide to find me later."

     And then he left. Pete's face scrunched in confusion.

     "How will I kiss when I get a wife?" The Swede asked mournfully, gently nursing the third tooth he had lost in the last week in his hands. He had been losing teeth biting into things lately. As of now, all it took was some soup.

     "It's so sweet that he still thinks he's gonna find a wife," Roach sighed.

     "Listen, if you're good enough at kissing, you don't need teeth," Frenchie shrugged.