XX.

Edmund, Glenstorm, and Wimbleweather, walk across the battlefield carrying green branches. Miraz watches through a telescope.

"Perhaps they intend to surrender," Glozelle suggests.

"No. They are much too noble for that," Miraz replied.

Wimbleweather and Glenstorm wait outside the tent as Edmund reads the challenge:

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."

Edmund rolls up the scroll.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund-" Miraz starts.

"King," Edmund interrupts.

"Pardon?

"It's King Edmund actually. Just king though. Peter is the High King. I know, it's confusing."

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our army could wipe you out by nightfall?"

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? Only a week ago, Narnians were extinct."

"And so you will be again."

"Then you should have little to fear."

"This is not a question of bravery," Miraz laughed.

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Edmund asked.

"I didn't say I refused," Miraz sneered.

"You shall have our support, your majesty, whatever your decision," A Telmarine Lord said.

"Sire, our military advantage alone allows us the perfect excuse to avoid-" Sopespian says to Miraz, who stands up and draws his sword.

"I am not avoiding anything!" Miraz shouts.

"I am merely pointing out that my lord is well within his rights to refuse," Sopespian says.

"His majesty would never refuse. He relishes the chance to show his people the bravery of their new king," Glozelle says, jumping to Miraz' defence.

"You should hope your brother's sword proves sharper," Miraz says as he points his sword at Edmund, who merely smiles.