11- Lemons and Orange

"Yeh?! Yeh kyaa leke aye ho tum log??!"

Sameer and Hadi cringed at the rising volume and the ever reddening face of Zoha. The cousins looked at each other before looking back down at the mini grocery haul littering the marble counter top of the kitchen.

The grocery haul that went very very veryyy wrong.

"Maine zeera mangayaa thaa!"

"Haan toh ammi laye toh hain zeeraa! Yeh dekheyn naa!"

"Jahil aulaad! Yeh Zeera nhi hai! Sonf hai! Dekh ke samajh nhi aa rahaa thaa toh Parhnaa toh ataa haai naaa?"

Hadi scratched his neck staring at the plastic pouch of the spice that they got or didn't got.

Like who didn't get Sonf and Zeera mixed up?! It was not his fault!

"Or yeh kyaa?! Ghee mangaya thaa Daldaa kaa! Sunflower Oil uthaa laye ho! Ajeeb ghadhon wale kaam kiye hain! Yeh-- "

"Ammi nhi samajh aata naa bhai!! Hum log ki ghalti nhi hai! Waisey bhi samaan Zubair chachu ko lena thaa.. Woh pata nhi humeyn chor ke gaari main jaa ke beth gaye or list bhi unkey paas thi!" Hadi ranted when his mother pulled his ear out of shear frustration seeing as they didn't get one thing right and all the plans the women had for aftaar now seemed impossible.

"Kyaa matlab Gaari main beth gaya tha?? Zubair nhi utraa tha tum logon ke sath?" She asked(yelled) in his ear.

"Nhi.. Khala jan utrey toh they magr phir wapis jaa ke beth gaye samaan liye baghair hi... Pata nhi keh rahey they unko chakr aa rhy they.. Shayad roza lag raha ho gaa.." Sameer muttered hesitantly.

"Yeh kon saa bachaa paida karne wala hai jo isko chakr aa rhy they! Had hoo gayi matlb!!! Ab hum aftaari kis ki banayen ge?!" Zoha was furious.

"Aap..aap mujhe de den naa jo cheez ghalat aa gayi hai.. Main or Hadi jaa ke change kar waa len ge jaldi se.. Qareeb toh hai--"

"Rehne do.. Koi baat nhi.. Jaou tum log jaa ke nahaou dho namaz parho.."

Sameer and his soft spoken nature worked like an antidote to the elders' anger much like Hadi and his callous nature worked in the opposite way.

Zoha with an annoyed huff began to put away the things they got mumbling many beautiful words for their stupidity while at it.

Sameer and Hadi quietly slipped out the kitchen door having had their quota of 'zillat' for the day.

However both had the same confused look upon their face that intensified when their gaze landed on to Zubair's bed room door.

'What the hell even happened?'

...............

.

.

.

Zubair swallowed the dry lump lodged in his throat, his eyes watering of their own accord as they stared at the ceiling fan's rotation.

Even the whirrin of the fan sounded like 'Dhoka ho gaya' 'Dhoka ho gaya' 'Dhoka ho gaya'

His teeth bit down on his lower lip as he rubbed his hands over his face with an exasperated sigh before sitting up.

..

She was married with a kid. A freaking four year old and not once did she let it be known.

Why? Why this betrayal? What did he do to deserve this?

Didn't she understand the many hints he dropped? Why would she still play aloof to his feelings?

His heart burned inside his chest, an agonizing pain rippling through his body and he wanted to hit something.