Wild Ride on the Ferry

Nico's POV

The first thing Nico noticed was the light. It was fading as the sun set behind him, but it was still a huge contrast to the darkness that filled Tartarus. I'm... I'm out, but how? Nico wondered taking in his unfamiliar surroundings. A gust of wind blew by, shocking the demigod with how much it contrasted with the uncomfortable heat of the pit. It also strangely smelt like sea water.

Something is wrong, Nico realized. Even before he went into Tartarus, it was still mid Summer, but now it was somehow late Fall. How long was I down there?

It was screaming that quickly drew Nico back to reality. The Ghost King whipped around to see the Hydra spraying poison at a nearby food van which promptly burst into flames. Civilians scattered in every direction yelling about giant snakes which really confused Nico since The Mist should have hidden them. Either way, Nico didn't have much time to contemplate that matter as the Hydra had caught sight of him and charged, ripping up the pavement as it moved.

Nico looked around, quickly developing a plan for round two. He turned and leaped backward as toxic fumes flew past him before heading straight for the burning van. Quickly ripping off his pitch back jacket, which was nearly rags at this point anyway, he wrapped it around the end of Diocletian's Scepter and plunged it into the flames. The cloth ignited instantly and Nico turned back to face the oncoming monster.

Now with a way to actually defeat the Hydra, Nico made quick work of two of its heads, his sword cutting threw the monster's scaly neck like it was butter. As he severed the the third head, Nico stubbled before dropping onto his knees, supporting his weight with his sword that was sticking into the pavement. He was so tired, his arms flet like solid lead. Tartarus had completely drained him.

One of the hideous heads shot forward again, but when Nico attempted to dodge it, he was too slow. The beast caught hold of his arm and yeeted him high I to the air and above the harbor.

As Nico fell, all he could hear were the waves of the ocean beneath him. It was then, as he was plummeting for the second time in the last couple of minutes that he tried something he'd never tried before. He knew his power had increased after becoming his father's immortalized champion, but he'd never tried something so risky. He wasn't sure if he'd survive it, but it his only option. The impact of him hitting the surface of the water would likely kill him, and even if he did survive that, he didn't have the strength to swim and would surely drowned. He really didn't like that option, so he'd rather take a change with the other.

Without a shadow in sight to fade into, Nico willed himself into a shadow and prayed that his uncle would take mercy on him if this failed and he struck the sea.

Amazingly, Nico felt himself fade away, being transported to who knows where, he didn't have the strength to even care. Strangely enough, as soon as the demigod tapped into his divine abilities, he felt a surge of power and strength flood over him. It was almost too much for him, but because of his severely weakened state, the increased power and strength were directed at revitalizing him.

For a brief moment, Nico felt formless and weightless like he was a simple spirit of the Underworld. Then he was tied back to a physical form and landed on his side, none too gracefully. His arm screamed in pain as he rolled off of it. Surprisingly, his weariness and pain was gradually swept away. Even the wound on his arm seemed to be healing like he'd just drank unicorn draft.

Nico's heart quickly plunged though when the solid metal beneath him rocked precariously to one side before righting itself and tilting to the other side.

"Great," Nico muttered. "I'm on a bloody boat!"

He'd tried so hard to end up anywhere except in the water and now he was on some floating dingy in THE MIDDLE OF THE WATER!