Patrol

Jason's POV

The two demigods followed the curving barrier of the harbor, enjoying the sound of the waves, well one of them more so than the other. Jason always felt a bit uneasy around the water. It was a powerful and deadly force when riled up.

Currently, it was calm, sluggish even. But Jason knew how quickly that could change. The Son of Jupiter glanced at his long-lost friend, who walked much closer to the water, almost as if he were subconsciously drawn to it. Percy was also calm, at least for now.

"So, what's your plan?" Jason asked. His voice came out louder than he intended. Apart from the waves, there was no noise. The falling snow seemed to consume it.

"I'm not going back."

Jason couldn't stop the smile spreading across his face. "No. I had a feeling you didn't want to. You've got quite the life set up here."

For a second, Percy matched his smile. "Yeah. I've got a group of friends who are as good as family to me and no gods to interfere..." Percy's voice became a bit colder, "Or at least, that's how it's supposed to be."

Jason wanted to inch away from the Son of the Sea as well as the sea itself as they both surged to life, but he knew he was safe next to Percy, no matter how upset his friend became.

Just as quickly as it came, the anger flowed away as Percy let out an exhausted sign. "I thought I was done with it all. I thought this was my escape. No more monsters, no more gods. A world where I could have a new start."

Jason liked the sound of that. He of all people knew just how taxing being a leader can be, especially a demigod leader. For a moment, he let himself picture what it would be like if Piper and him settled down here.

But he couldn't let that thought stay. He still had an endless amount of ties and responsibilities to their original dimension. The issue was getting back. "Do you think there is any way for us to get back?"

Percy seemed to consider for a few seconds before shaking his head, "I honestly don't know. There seems to be something going on here. All of a sudden, monsters and demigods are showing up out of nowhere."

Jason frowned slightly. The way his friend said that made it sound like there could be other demigods that had crossed over, but before he could dwell on that fact, Percy was talking again.

"You said you heard a voice as you were falling through the portal, right?"

"Yeah, it said something about a wish being granted."

"Sounds like the Fates. Of course, it would be them. They just can't stay out of my life." Percy suddenly stopped in his tracks causing Jason to stop too. "But whose wish? Whose wish were they granting?"

Jason shrugged. He honestly had no idea, but by the lightbulb that appeared above his friend's head, he had an idea that he was about to find out.

"It was Grover's" Percy said quietly.

"Grover's?"

"Yeah, after the scene in the throne room, he asked the Fates about finding me."

Jason tried to recall the scene but came up blank. He recalled being put through rigorous training by Mars directly after becoming a champion. Percy said he'd seen everything that happened in a demigod dream. Was it possible that he saw more than the rest of the seven?

"So, Grover used his wish to find you, and then the Fates sent us instead? That's a pretty fucked up way of doing things."

Percy scoffed, "Welcome to my world. I will forever be the Fates' favorite form of entertainment."