The Roman

Percy's POV

It was dark out, the last remnants of the sun having faded hours ago, but that was not unusual this late in the year. Now the moon dominated the sky, illuminating the increasing amount of precipitation with silver beams. However, it was not rain that fell, but delicate flakes of snow.

Percy reached one of his gloved hands out and watched as the snow melted upon contact. He willed it back into a solid and was a little disappointed when it became ice instead of snow. He'd have to work on that.

Because of all of the snowfall, the demigod easily sensed the disturbances his partner made as they approached but made no move to acknowledge them. It was his third patrol with someone from the Young Justice or Justice League. The first was with Kaldur who wanted to know more about what happened at Atlantis and the second was Wonder Woman who wanted to know more about the gods.

Needless to say, Percy didn't give them too much information. He didn't want to get stuck trying to explain exactly how he was able to wipe the memories of some of the most influential figures in Atlantis, or how he fit in with the rest of the gods, especially since he wasn't one.

The identity of his third partner surprised him. He could understand the Atlantean and Amazon volunteering to patrol with him as they had unanswered questions, but he wasn't expecting the individual who now stood beside him, overlooking the harbor.

Finally, Percy turned to face the former praetor, letting the ice he'd created liquify once again. Even with the mask and suit obscuring his features, Percy could see that his friend had aged. It was yet another factor that separated him from the rest of the seven.

The two of them eyed each other for a minute before Percy spoke up, "Jason Grace."

The son of Jupiter looked as if he came to some sort of decision as he straightened and locked eyes with his fellow demigod.

"Percy Jackson."

Percy failed to keep a surprised expression from shooting across his face. He knew he still resembled his old self, but he'd thought there had been enough changes for them to not be able to identify him.

"How..." Percy struggled to get out. He'd never really considered what would happen if the seven figured him out.

Jason let out a relieved exhale as he pulled his stunned friend into a hug, "Gut feeling."

Percy eventually pulled away. "Who knows?"

"I didn't tell anyone," Jason said as he removed his mask. "Figured if you wanted them to know, you would have told us."

Percy hesitated for a moment before also removing his helmet. They took a moment to take in each other's appearance.

"What happened to you?" Jason asked. "Why do you look like you haven't aged a day."

Percy grimaced slightly, suddenly remembering unpleasant memories. "First, I need to make sure that you won't breathe a word of this is anyone else."

Jason took a moment to consider before saying, "I swear on the River Styx to never tell anyone about what I discover tonight, without Percy Jackson's permission."

When there was no thunder, Jason turned a confused face to the sky as if it would give him an answer.

"Yeahhhh," Percy said dragging the word out. "Pretty sure an oath on the River Styx doesn't actually work in this world."

"You tricked us," Jason said accusingly, but his tone was alight with amusement.

"Your fault for just assuming it works here."

Jason huffed good-naturedly before switching back to his more serious side that just screamed Roman Leader. "Then I give you my word that I won't tell anyone."

The son of Poseidon nodded knowing his friend would hold true to his word, "What do you want to know first?"

"What happened to you four years ago? We couldn't find you."

Percy signed as he sat at the base of one of the nearby shipping containers. He balanced his elbows on his knees and wrung his hands anxiously. "That part is a bit blurry. I remember fighting the Earthborn. I remember there being gold dust everywhere, and I remember my side exploding in pain."

Percy's gaze was unfocused, but his face was angled towards the sea, where the waves seemed more agitated than they were a few minutes ago.

"I remember feeling blood soak my shirt and trying to stop it, but I couldn't." Percy fought to keep his voice from breaking. "There was too much, and with each second that passed I felt my strength slipping away. I don't recall falling, but I remember the Earthborn standing over me, laughing as I struggled to breathe."

"Percy," Jason said sadly as if telling his friend he didn't need to continue, but he did.

"I remember my vision fading and only seeing darkness." Percy's tone suddenly hardened and his eyes burned with rage as they finally locked with Jason's. "At that moment I saw all of the pain and death the gods had caused their own children. I was upset with myself that I hadn't been able to change things for them before my death."

Jason continued to stay quiet as he sat across from the Son of Poseidon. He wasn't going to make excuses for the gods, for they surely hadn't earned it and he felt as if Percy just needed someone to listen to him. So, that is what he did. He sat there and listened as Percy continued.

"I remember seeing Annabeth..." Percy said before breaking out into a pained sort of chuckle. "At the time, I wondered if she would be able to be happy without me..."

Percy stopped for a moment, lost in thought.

"But you survived," Jason stated quietly. "Your blood is golden now."

"Yes," Percy agreed getting his emotions back under control. "Hestia saved me... turned me into her champion like you guys."

Jason's eyes widened slightly, "That's why you're still the same age."

"Yeah. Then Zeus gave me quests to complete, promising to let me return, but it was all a lie. He tried to throw me back into Tartarus during the last quest, but Hestia managed to save me. She sent me here."

Percy could see the guilt in Jason's eyes and when he opened to mouth to say something, Percy cut him off. "It's not your fault. He might be your dad or at least the other version of him, but his actions don't reflect onto you."

Jason smiled at that, "Thanks."

Percy nodded before asking, "How are the rest of the seven?"

They both knew it was a touchy subject, but Percy was generally curious how most of them had been.

"Well, Piper and I were planning on getting married next spring, but that's kinda been put off after we were transported into a new dimension with no way home. Frank's still gathering the courage to ask Hazel the big question, which has probably also been put off for the same reasons. Leo is still Leo and Annabeth is well..." Jason trailed off uncomfortably.

"Over me? Yeah, I saw what happened in the throne room."

Jason looked confused for a second before asking, "Demigod dreams?"

"Yep, demigod dream," Percy said in a sarcastically happy voice. "They follow me even if I go into another dimension."

"Sorry, Percy."

The son of Poseidon looked tired as he shook his head, dislodging a good amount of snow that had landed in his hair. "I just thought we really had something; you know?"

Jason nodded. "I thought you guys did too. I honestly don't know why she did what she did. Even before what happened in the throne room, she tried to call off all of the search parties we had out looking for you."

"I just don't get it."