The Hand That Rocks The Nest

SEEK THE SPAWN OF THE PAWN

OF THE CRONE OF BONES

THAT COTTAGE OF DOOM

THE ROOM NOT A ROOM

THE BEAST NOT A BEAST

THAT MOVES SOUTH AND WEST AND NORTH AND EAST

SEARCH IN NEST, COOP, OR DEN

OF THE COBBLED TRUSSED HEN

Y/N: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

You were catapulting through the air at amazing speeds. You were surpised that you could even get a scream out, in all honesty.

I’m going to die now, you thought. I’m going to smash against the side of the castle like that spoonful of porridge against Apple’s cheek.

Beyond the breathless terror and dizzy delirium, you noticed that the sun was lingering over the horizon. Only a couple of more hours of daylight.

Maddie…

You refused to die. You shook your head to focus your thoughts.

Deep breaths. And now....

Y/N: RAVEN, DO SOMETHING!

Raven fought the air to point her hands toward her feet, and tried a spell she’d never attempted before. Streams of high-powered fire shot from her hands. Her speed increased, rocketing her through the cool air, but she could move her hands and control her angle at least. She wiggled her hands, adjusting her trajectory, aiming for the open door on her dorm balcony.

You grabbed her as you both screamed at the incoming walls. But, Hunter had left the window open....again.

You hurtled through it and crashed in a heap on your bed. The remnant of Raven's fire-hands spell spurted out, but not before setting afire one of your throw pillows.

It had been your favorite.

But, you were alive. Somehow. And you had not only avoided any broken bones, but you also landed in such a way that you were able to catch Raven to prevent her from crashing onto the floor.

Raven sat up and quickly swept off the ash and straightened the satin bedspread.

Nevermore was perched proudly atop the shrunken dragon skull, flapping her wings and squawking like a chicken.

Raven: Good girl! Could you go back to the park? I kind of promised the kids you’d play with them. Come back at sunset, okay? Or before that if people show up with torches and pitchforks.

Always good advice.

She gave Nevermore a good-bye neck scratch and then unfolded the parchment from her pocket.

Raven: ‘Seek the spawn of the pawn…’

She read the next riddle over and over again, pacing. The sun was lowering still.

Raven: ‘… the beast not a beast…’

No time, no time.

Raven:  ‘… search in nest, coop, or den…’

Maddie. Save Maddie. Her panicked heart scattered her thoughts. She needed to calm down and refocus.

Raven gave up on pacing and sat back on your bed. She then looked at you to see you still laying there, wide eyes staring at the roof.

Raven: Are you okay?

You just held up your hand, showing her the ring that was there.

Y/N: Magic spells don't work on me when I'm wearing this. Just for future reference.