"the anonymous gossip"

[high school AU with the enemies to friends trope! ]

inspired by a prompt i found on tumblr by deity-prompts

"Are you seeing this, Irene?!"

"Where exactly?"

You designated one side of the page for Irene to see. She read the small, serif characters typed on the glossy paper with squinting eyes. After a few seconds, her jaw hung open, signaling that she had completed reading the material.

"Y/N L/N acts like she's a know-it-all just because she's included in the list of top 5 students in the whole school. She's got a really bad attitude and has a huge ego. That's why nobody wants to date her ass." Irene read aloud and made you roll your eyes for the millionth time.

It was lunchtime, and you and your best friend, Irene, had just returned to the classroom after finishing your meals in the cafeteria. When you both entered the room, you noticed one of your classmates scurrying around the room, setting the monthly issue of your school publication, "The Duxston Gazette" on each desk.

To pass the time, you sat at your desk and silently read the paper, flipping the pages from time to time. When you got to the entertainment section of The Duxston Gazette, you were thrilled since it was your favorite section, especially one of the segments — "The Anonymous Gossip."

You primarily liked The Anonymous Gossip since it highlighted and subtly exposed the true colors of the folks you loathed at school, and you found the modest crush confessions charming. However, your interest in that portion faded away as soon as you read that someone was trying to ruin your reputation with lies about your personality.

But that wasn't the only time it happened; submissions that mentioned your name started a few months ago. At first, you ignored it but it seemed like this specific anonymous writer had the agenda to drag your name down saying things that you cheated your way to succeed getting high grades or how you told your smart classmates to finish your own homework – and you thought these rumors were bizzare –  which was why they chose to continue on with their "routine" for quite sometime.

Despite those things being said about you in the school newspaper, you were thankful that no one believed them especially since they saw how you really were in real life.

But apparently, it happened again.

It wasn't an unknown fact that you were indeed part of the Top 5 Honor Students in the whole school, but you weren't at all famous like most girls in your batch. You were one of the normal students who did nothing but persevere and study hard in order to pass all your classes and would occasionally hang out with your close friends when you had the opportunity to do so.

You were also courteous to everybody at school and eager to assist your classmates with their academics - literally the opposite of what the anonymous writer submitted - which made you wonder why someone would want to bring you down even though you did nothing wrong.