beautiful stranger

[ AU - michael isn't famous ]

As soon as the metallic doors of the subway train slid open, I stepped in despite being sandwiched by the group of people that surrounded me, some of them making their way outside the train since it was already their stop. Once I was entirely inside, I immediately sat on one of the vacant seats, clutching my purse placed on top of my lap. Fortunately, the train was not as crowded. I didn't like it when people were crammed into the train like sardines in a can. Even though I'd had that experience before, I still hadn't gotten used to it-perhaps I just despise enclosed spaces. It makes me feel uneasy.

I looked down at my wristwatch, which read 7:56. It was a chilly morning when I stepped outside the apartment where I live with my cat, Luna. During my usual walk to the subway station to get to work, I was welcomed by a cold morning breeze. It was a routine I had followed since graduating college a year ago and immediately finding work: wake up at 6 a.m. to go get prepared, leave the house at 7 or 7:30 a.m. (whichever works on that day), head to the terminal, and ride the train.

For a while, I observed the atmosphere of the train. Nothing had altered, it was exactly how it had been every day - there were businessmen with suitcases standing in the distance, gripping the hanging handles, children accompanied by their mothers, old ladies conversing softly across from where I was sitting, and... a man with long, dark curls?

I furrowed my eyebrows as I gazed upon his figure. I had never seen him in my life before, let alone on this very train I'd been riding for a year.

Was he new in town?

Did he ride the train for the first time?

Wait, no... he maybe rode the train before, but maybe he doesn't go to this station...

My mind pondered as I continued to stare at him - not in a creepy way, God no. He looked attractive if I said so myself. He was sitting a little bit far from my seat, focused on reading today's newspaper in hand.

However, my observing session was cut short when his gaze unexpectedly met mine. It was the most delightful set of eyes I'd ever seen; his ebony-colored orbs radiated mystery while also emanating warmth and security, making me want to know who he was. I quickly turned away, clearing my throat as a flood of thoughts swamped my mind.

Was I too obvious?

Oh God, he must think I'm a creep now.

For fuck's sake, Y/N, why'd you do that?

What can I say? I overthink a lot, which is a habit I should probably get rid of.

I looked back for a moment, thinking he wasn't looking at me all along, but when I whipped my head to the right, I didn't see anyone staring back at him. When I slowly returned my attention to him, our eyes locked once more, as though he were waiting for me to look at him once more.