Chapter 3

As everyone regroups, Harley stands with Kira and Scott. 

"Is it over?" Kira asks Scott. "Really over?" Harley fights to keep her face neutral as she observes the way Scott looks at Kira. 

Maybe a lot can change in little time, she muses, smiling to herself.

"No, but, seriously," Harley says. "What the hell is going on?" Before anyone can respond, someone taps Harley on the shoulder. She turns to find the young girl from earlier standing alongside her brother.

"I'm Brett," the boy says. "This is Lori, in case you didn't know. Thank you for saving my sister."

"Again," Lori adds. Harley smiles at the two.

"That isn't something you need to thank me for," she says.

"Are you really the Lunar Witch?" Brett asks.

"I was, once," Harley says, exchanging a look with Scott. "I don't know what I am now." Harley pretends not to notice Allison watching from afar.

A discussion with Scott leads to her following him home, staying with the McCalls as her mom was out of town, coping with the "loss" of her daughter. Mrs. McCall is, evidently, ecstatic about the idea.

"I cannot tell you how good it is to see you, Harley," Mrs. McCall says as she holds her tightly. "So good."

"Well, I am glad to be back," Harley laughs breathlessly.

"Let's not crush her," Scott says, easing Harley out of his mom's arms.

"I'm sorry," Mrs. McCall says. "Now, are you bringing her with to see Derek and return that money?"

"What money?" Harley asks Scott, who smiles sheepishly and pulls out a duffel bag from under the kitchen table. Harley chokes on air once he unzips it. "Oh, that money. I never knew Derek was rich."

An hour or so later, Harley is standing alongside Scott behind the door separating them and Derek.

"Derek!" Scott calls. "Derek?"

"I'm coming," Derek grumbles faintly. Harley doubts she'd be able to hear it if she wasn't supernatural.

"Well, hurry," she huffs, loud enough for him to hear even without his advanced hearing. "This bag is heavy." There's a series of crashes and cursing, only a moment passing before what can be best described as a flustered Derek appears before them, wide eyes scanning Harley.

"What the hell?"

"Surprise," she smirks. 

"What the fu--"

A reunion later, Derek surveys the bag of cash the two had brought with them.

"Okay," Derek says.

"Don't you wanna know why it took so long to return it?" Scott asks.

"How much do you make at the animal clinic?"

"Minimum wage."

"That's why. Everyone can be tempted, Scott. Even a True Alpha."

"You're not angry?"

"It's not even mine. It belongs to Peter."

"Should've kept it," Harley mutters, rolling her eyes at the sharp look Scott gives her. "Where's your money?" She asks Derek.

"You're standing on it," Derek says.

Scott looks down, then looks back up in astonishment. "There's another vault?" he asks. Harley blinks rapidly, willing away an eyeroll.