Chapter 7

A phone call from Deaton later, and Harley is at his office. He supposedly has results from previous tests, considering whether or not she can safely use her powers.

"Not entirely conclusive," he muses, "But according to this, you're good to go."

"Thank God," she sighs. 

"Evidently a very good thing, given you've been continuously using them anyway."

"What are you--Liam."

"Not quite."

"Isaac?"

"Allison. She appeared to be quite worried."

"She was probably happy there was a chance to get rid of me again," Harley grumbles to herself.

"I didn't quite catch that," Deaton says, but the small smile on her face tells her he did, in fact, "catch that."

"Nothing." She grins, pushing herself to her feet. "Well, Doc, always great to see you, but I've got things to do, people to see, you know the drill."

Later that day, Harley stands in Scott's living room with the elders of the pack, between Malia and Kira, as well as Theo, who is evidently an honorary member for the time being.

"My mom's book club usually has more wine," Lydia says.

"Well," Stiles says, "They also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations."

"That's why Malia's here," Scott says.

"So none of us run into traffic," Kira confirms.

"Go team," Harley drawls, drawing a snicker from Malia. Further banter continues, which Harley tunes out, instead focusing on the group. 

She realizes she hasn't had much time to interact with them recently, too focused on everything that's going on. Her eyes catch a new bruising on Lydia's knuckles, Allison standing next to the girl, listening closely, Scott bearing the same "weight of the world" on his shoulders, Isaac staring off into space, likely not paying attention, and Kira and Malia seeming relatively normal, all things considered. Her eyes stop on Stiles. His shoulders sag in a way they never used to, and his eyes seem more sunken-in, appearing almost guilty. Feeling someone looking at her, her eyes flicker to Theo. She raises her eyebrows in questioning, but he simply looks away. Her attention is drawn back by Lydia.

"I think I saw them during my surgery," Lydia admits. "When I look at the cover of the book, it's almost like..."

"A memory trying to surface," Theo supplies.

"Yeah."

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira asks Harley, who nods in confirmation.

"If they did something to me," Lydia says, "I want to know what it is." One by one, each teen grabs a photocopy of the book, taking a seat nearby to read. A tug on Harley's wrist pulls her down into the seat next to Isaac. She looks to her left and finds that Malia was the one who put her there. She winks before leaving to find her boyfriend in the kitchen. Harley shakes her head in disbelief, sharing an amused smile with Isaac, warming her face more than she would've liked. 

A while of reading proves little recollection, but rather major fatigue. At least she lasted longer than Isaac, she supposes, as he fell asleep on her shoulder a while ago. She sighs deeply, resting her head on his, letting her eyes flutter shut. By the time she wakes, it's morning.

After school the next day, Harley decides to head over to the lacrosse field to talk with Mason. As she approaches, she finds him sitting with Brett.