Chapter 13

**A/N heyyyyy everyone,,, it's been a minute

Harley arrives at school the next day. She passes a redhead and a girl with short brown hair, who she recognizes as Lydia Martin and Malia Tate. They're joined by a third boy with black hair and a crooked jawline, and Harley frowns as she gets a feeling as though she is forgetting something. Shaking it off, she continues to her first period.

That night, Harley is still at school after working on an extra credit project for her AP Lit class. She ties her hair up in a ponytail, purple strands catching on her fingers. She continues to work for a few moments longer when there is a sharp ringing in her ears. She drops her pencil, hand going up to feel the blood running out of her ear. She stands on instinct, walking without knowing where she was going.

She finds herself in the library, and a boy is suspended in the air in front of her. Her eyes glow green of their own volition, and the purple mist reaches out. Before it can reach the boy, however, he disappears. She draws back into herself, ignoring the ache in her heart. She hears movement behind her. She turns, but she can't see anyone. Closing her eyes, she lets the mist reach out again, tugging when it wraps around two boys. The doors slam open, Scott McCall and another younger boy rushing in. She lets the mist recede, the boys staring at her in shock.

"So," she drawls, "What's all this?"

"Who are you?" The younger boy asks. She tilts her head, a slight smirk on her face.

"Funny. I was gonna ask the same thing."

"His name's Liam," Scott says, stepping forward. "Liam, this is Harley Rogers. She's in my grade. What I don't know is why she's here." 

Harley straightens out, sizing up Scott. She makes eye contact, and flickers her eyes. His eyes reflect red back to her involuntarily. Her smirk grows. 

"So," she says again. "You're the 'True Alpha?' I expected stronger."

Scott recoils. "Who are you, then?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you. We're on the same team. That's all that matters. What was that?"

"How would we know?" the boy--Liam--speaks again.

"I saw your face. You know. Don't lie to me. It's a bad idea. Tell me who they were."

"Ghost Riders," one of the boys hidden earlier says. "They were Ghost Riders. I'm Mason, by the way." Harley raises one eyebrow in disbelief.

"Here?" Scott asks. "Just now?"

"I thought they left when the storm left," Liam asks.

"I guess not," Mason says, "Because two of them were right up there."

"What were they doing?" Scott asks.

"Taking a boy," Harley sighs. "You mean to tell me the Wild Hunt is in Beacon Hills?"

"Yes," the final boy says. "But they didn't care about us. They--they walked right by us."

"They don't want you," Harley scoffs. "They wanted whoever that kid was."

"There was nobody else in here. It was just us. They jumped down and left." 

Harley's eyebrows furrow in confusion. "No, that's not true. They took that boy. That's why I came in here." Her face drops in realization. "You forgot him already."

"What?" Scott asks.

"That's how the Wild Hunt works. They take their prey, and they leave. They erase any trace of who the person once was. No one knows they ever existed. Not their parents, their children, their friends. No one."