5 - Dinner "date" (part 1)

~Gaara's POV~

A few days had passed since I asked Lee if we could meet up for dinner at his house. I really had fun these past days. Lee gave his all to make me have fun. Seeing him do so much for me really warmed my heart.

There is something I kept secret for a while. The secret is that I am in love with Lee. It has been over 3 years. Since we met at the Chuunin Exam, I somehow could not get out of my head the image of the first person who fought me as an equal, without any fear despite my way of thinking at the time. After going back to the village of Suna, I kept thinking about his mighty figure posing in preparation to fight me.

I kept wondering when would be the next time we would meet. At the same time, I was worried of what he thought of me, because I had injured him so seriously that he might have had to give up his dream of showing that he could become a great ninja, even without ninjutsu or genjutsu. I had to see him again after that to learn that he was able to heal the injuries, but the feeling of uneasiness and extreme guilt still persisted.

After I became the Kazekage and things were calm and peaceful in the village, I decided to take a break and see Lee since it had been a while. I took advantage of the Hokage's convocation and I ended up staying in Konoha. I was able to see Lee.

I had initially given up on him and tried to just stay friends. But lately, judging by his behaviour, i started to think that I may have a chance. He has been blushing very often and acting weird in front of me. He would wiggle his arms in the air and speak gibberish when I get close to him. Sometimes he would just start to stare passionately into the horizon as if he was watching a sunset, but I won't question that.

However, today was the day that I go to eat dinner at his house. I had been waiting for what felt like an eternity. I had planned to confirm his feelings and maybe tell him how I f- feel... if I could find the courage to do so. However, I of course had never been in a relationship before and I had no idea how to get us into that kind of situation and I couldn't ask Temari and Kankuro for advice, or they would tease me about it for a long while. My only option was to try.

It was around 7 PM, when I was walking towards the place Lee had indicated on a paper he gave me. When I finally got there, I was not sure if it really was the right place. I then heard a familiar voice coming out from the room with lights on.

"...2478, 2479, 2480, 2481, 2482..."

It was Lee's voice. He was doing push-ups before I came. Does he ever take a break ? I rang the bell. I heard Lee falling on the floor and the sound of his feet on the wooden floor of his house, running towards the entrance. He opened the door. He was in a tank top, a head band on his forehead, covered in sweat, and with socks with... Might Gai's face as a pattern... Sometimes I wonder how I fell for a man with such questionable taste. But that's a story for another day.

"G- Gaara ! You really came !" He said, sounding over-joyed.

"Well, I was the one who asked. It would be weirder if I didn't..."

I avoided eye contact, hoping that he didn't notice my blushing face. He held the door for me and motioned for me to enter. I looked at his smiling face, then at the wooden floor I was going to walk on. While walking in, I felt as if a had made a big step forward into trying to win this man's heart. As if there was no turning back and I had to declare my feelings on this day. I felt a rush of heat through my face and my heart began thumping very hard.

"Well, you can make yourself at home. I thought you would come later so I was training. If you don't mind I will take a quick shower. I should also probably open the windows to change the air, hehe." He said as he left into a room that appeared to be the bathroom.

This is it. This is the day. I couldn't help being nervous and it was the only thing I could think about. It's gonna start after he gets out of the shower...