5 | training duty

༶•┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈•༶

( training duty )

༶•┈┈┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈┈•༶

"Training duty!" Toni complained, putting down her cup of coffee before she ended up spilling any of the hot liquor on herself with how carelessly she was moving her hands. "Training duty!" She repeated, "I don't know if this is better than the boxes — or worse."

Becca rolled her eyes, blowing softly into her own coffee to help it cool down faster. "It's better. I mean you said it yourself. Anything would be better than another day of moving shipment boxes."

Toni rolled her eyes, leaning back into her chair and huffing before crossing her arms over her chest. "Well that was before Phillips moved me onto training duty."

Her friend laughed, taking a small sip of her own coffee. "There's a bright side for you, and for me, there, Ton." When Toni gave her a confused look she explained further. "You get to train a bunch of men and feel superior to them — because you are. And I get to avoid taking care of your blisters because you're not gonna have them anymore."

"Very bright indeed." Toni replied, voice dripping sarcasm. "But I wouldn't be relaxing just yet if I were you, Becca. Pretty sure Phillips is gonna find something for me to do that would leave me with blisters either way."

They both laughed, knowing very well that he probably would do exactly that. And it wasn't like they weren't at least a bit on the right path.

Then, Rebecca clapped her hands together and leaned forward with a certain glint in her eyes. "Now, no more dancing around the subject. How was your date?"

"I hate you."

"You don't." Becca said, "Did you have fun."

Toni glared at her but knew her friend wouldn't leave her alone until she got an answer she was satisfied with. So she lifted her hand and brought her pointer and middle finger slightly together, leaving enough space between them. "A bit."

Becca smiled and grabbed Toni's hands. "Oh, yes, you did. But seriously now, did he touch you? Kiss you? Ask you on another date?"

"No." Toni said, returning Becca's smile. "No. And once more, a shocker, no."

Becca was about to reply when the all too familiar voice of Toni's favorite Colonel interrupted their conversation. "Potts, come on! Stop wasting Barnes' time and get moving. There's recruits to train."

Toni grimaced, mimicking him but not actually saying anything. Becca laughed at the scene before her.

"Did you hear me?!"

"Colonel, at least let me finish my coffee!" Toni called back, glancing sadly at the mug on the table.

"Now, Potts!"

She sighed, an angry scowl taking over her expression. Toni grabbed the mug and downed it all in one go, trying not to react to the hot burn down her throat and on her tongue.

Becca looked at her like she had just grown a second head and Toni assumed it must have been because of the fact that the nurse had never seen someone drink their still hot coffee in one go. She offered her a smile before rushing out of the room just as Phillips started calling out for her again.

Toni brought her hand up, putting two fingers on the edge of her lips and whistling loudly to grab the attention of the recruits. "Recruits, attention!"

She couldn't deny the happy feeling inside of her caused by the fact that now there was a man behind her carrying a box of whatever it was. Someone else was finally doing the carrying so she might as well be happy with the training duty.