The Hideout

Jasusi slunk through the jungle, Kijana behind her, whining and complaining. They crept out into the clearing. 

The camp was entirely active. The zebras were grazing near the edges, and the mongooses had started a cooking fire near the middle. Some crocs were fighting off to the left. And in the center, the Hideout. 

A old cave, covered with vines and other foliage, it was small on the outside but large on the inside. Two hyenas stood guard, Tunu and Wema, outside the entrance. 

They nodded to Jasusi and Kijana as they entered, then returned back to their chat. 

Jasusi walked inside the entrance first, and surveyed the area. Everything was in its place. The vines still hanging down, the rocks and logs still arranged to form a semicircle, and the one window on the side. 

And all the council members were there. Bunga and Binga were talking over in the corner, and Kijana runs over to the two and nuzzles his mom. Jasusi rolls her eyes, and continues looking around. 

Fuli and Jasiri were talking to Ono in the shadows, as far away from everyone as they could get.  Anga was near the window, watching everybody with a serious expression on her face. Beshte was humming happily to himself while laughing with Janja. 

Jasusi rambles over to Beshte and Janja. 

"Hey, guys," she says, nodding to them. 

"Hey, Jasusi," Beshte says back. "What's up?" 

"Beat another patrol," she comments casually. 

"As usual," Janja says, chuckling. 

"Yep," Anna says, listening in on their conversation. 

"Hey," asks Jasusi, lowering her voice. "What's going on with Jasiri, Fuli, and Ono? They seem pretty paranoid." 

"Yeah," Janja asks. "Jasiri won't tell me anything about our plans since yesterday, and the others are the same." 

Beshte nods. "Something's up with them." 

"Yep," Anya states. 

Jasusi wondered what it could be. 

"Attention everybody." Jasiri steps up to the middle of the semicircle. All chatter stops as everyone turns to look to her. "This council meeting of the resistance is now in session. Please sit down." 

They all go to their respective seats. Jasusi sat next to Bunga and Anga in the semicircle. 

"Everyone," Jasiri says. "I have an important announcement to make." 

Everyone sits up slightly. Now here was the reason Ono, Jasiri,and Fuli were acting so strange and paranoid. 

"We have a traitor among us. A spy." 

Gasps and mutters come from everywhere. Everyone's darting worried glances at each other as they murmur to their neighbors. 

"I know this most come as a shock to you all. But we have to face down this traitor. The only people you can trust are the ones in this room." 

Most of the council nodded, but Janja was looking wary of everyone, especially Ono and Fuli. 

"Who do we know one of us isn't the spy?" he demands, glaring at everyone in turn. 

"Because I trust you, Janja. And I expect everyone else does too. You should give them that same courtesy." Jasiri states calmly. 

Janja's mouth opens and closes. "Sure, Jasiri." He settles back, defiant. "Whatever you say." 

Jasiri nods. "Good. Now, to help find this spy, I have enlisted Lezi, the detective and cousin to Siri, Simba's problem solver." 

A disgruntled older lion walks into the room. He glances around before settling on Jasusi. 

"That's my helper," he growls at her. Jasiri and everyone else looks at her. She shrinks down slightly. "That's who's gonna help me solve this case. I can tell it by her body language." 

Jasiri nods. "Jasusi, are you okay with this?" 

Jasusi nods. "I am." 

Lezi nods. "Let's solve this case, girl." 

She grins, and he smiles back.