Chapter 8

Alia

I arranged the dishes on the dining table making sure everything was in order. Leonardo had promised he would be here on time and only a few minutes were remaining for the clock to strike seven.

Even after I had agreed to give whatever it was between us a chance, I was not sure if I had done the right thing. I was still married to Taimur and getting involved with another man was wrong on so many levels. But I just couldn't refuse him, when he asked me to give us a chance yesterday.

My palms were sweating and my heart was beating to a strange rhythm. Even though I tried to assure myself that this was not a date, I just couldn't help feeling giddy. This was new for me, never had any man, made me nervous in my life. Not even Taimur Al Jahaan with all his ruthlessness.

There was something about Leonardo that made me anxious from the day I had come across him. He was nothing but raw power and dominance. I had never met a man who oozed masculinity like Leonardo did and I had been married to one of the most charismatic men in the world for years.

The doorbell rang and my heart thudded against my rib cage. Cursing myself to get a grip over my unruly emotions, I made my way to the door and opened it. Leonardo stood at the door wearing a gray sweater over a pair of black jeans. A tuft of his black hair had fallen over his forehead and I suppressed an urge to push them away.

"Good evening," he greeted with a panty-dropping smile.

"Good evening," my voice came out as a rasp.

Leonardo's lips spread into a smirk and I scolded myself to stop acting like an infatuated teenager. I just couldn't stop imagining how good his lips had felt against mine and how self-assured and confident he was when he kissed me. Restraining myself from letting my mind drift to the kiss, I stepped aside to let him pass.

"I brought flowers and dessert," he lifted his hand offering me the gifts.

There was a bouquet and a box with two pieces of Tiramisu cheesecake. A pleasant feeling engulfed me, "how did you know I like cheesecake?"

"I didn't know you liked them, but being Italian I love everything that has cheese in it," Leonardo mused.

I smiled and then took the items from his hand. I placed the bouquet on the coffee table in the living room and carried the box of cheesecake to the kitchen. Leonardo followed after me and then stood against the kitchen counter as I placed the box into the refrigerator.

"Are you hungry?" I asked him.

"Very," he replied, but I felt like he was not referring to the food.

Ignoring his innuendo I gestured towards the dining table," I am starving," and settled on a chair.

"This is not what I had in mind," he stroked his thumb over his lip and watched me with piercing obsidian orbs.

I arched my brow at him, "Don't make me regret my decision."

Leonardo chuckled darkly and a shiver ran down my body at the sound of his laugh. Was there something that this man was not good at? I shouldn't let myself get affected by him to this extent but I just couldn't control myself.

"Ohh darling, you have no idea how much you are going to regret inviting a lion into your house," he cautioned, staring at me with those impossibly black eyes.

"Are you sure it's a Lion that I invited and not a jackal?" I couldn't help asking.

"What do you think?" He asked back.

"I don't think I know you enough to form an opinion," I replied, honestly.

Leonardo pushed away from the counter and sauntered towards me, he dropped to his haunches right before me until he was eye level with me and our lips were almost brushing, "You know me alright, darling. You are just afraid to admit it." Leonardo murmured, the timbre in his voice resonating through me.