Chapter 14

Leonardo

A week passed, but there was still no news about Alia. My men had looked for her everywhere possible, but she had disappeared without a trace. Dominico was getting more and more suspicious with each passing day. His questions had multiplied in the last couple of days since he had lost touch with the two spies he had sent to Azmaayir.

I was worried about the two men. They had been in contact with us for the first five days but had suddenly lost touch two days earlier. They hadn't discovered anything of significance during that period. Taimur Al Jahaan was the king of one of the strongest kingdoms in the world, and it wasn't easy to breach his security.

The silence on the side of the two spies made me restless. All other modes I used in the past week to find Alia had resulted in failure, and the two men were my only hope to find her, but with their disappearance, my hope died a painful death.

The feeling of helplessness didn't let me breathe. The constant worry about Alia's well-being kept me up all night. It had been days since I slept more than a few minutes. The moment I fell asleep, some nightmare about Alia would haunt me, and I would wake up in sweat.

I knew Alia needed me, and the thought didn't let me rest. Despite having every facility at my expense, I couldn't find the woman I loved, which only increased my restlessness.

I thought of telling Dominico to send a few more men to look for them and continue to spy on Taimur Al Jahaan. I had sent spies after his known enemies, but they discovered nothing suspicious, adding to my worries.

The answer to the question of who abducted Alia stayed a mystery. I waited for a call from her or any other means of contact, but Alia didn't reach out, which only solidified my suspicion that someone had taken her.

Alia would never not contact me willingly if she had the means. In the brief time I had known her, I had noticed that Alia was a very frank person. She would not keep me in the dark about anything. If she didn't want me in her life, she would say it to my face instead of beating around the bush. I knew Alia was in danger, and my inability to help her made me want to burn down the world.

I closed the file before me and then raked my fingers through my hair.

Where are you, Alia?

I sighed and then rose to my feet. Halting before the floor-to-ceiling window behind my desk, I started at the horizon through the glass.

What was the use of owing billions of dollars if I could not help the people I loved? I failed to protect my wife and daughter years ago, and I could not protect the women I loved right then. I realized I was nothing but a puppet in the hand of fate. I was powerless before its plan and had no choice but to hope that someday fate would be kind enough to reunite me with the love of my life. 

I regretted not heeding Alia's warning about her husband.

How could I act so carelessly?

Alia had warned me several times about her husband being a very influential man, but never in my wildest dreams had I imagined he could be a king. If Taimur Al Jahaan had taken Alia, then he could hide her anywhere in his country, and there was no way I would be able to find her and bring her back again.

He ruled Azmaayir with an iron fist, and not even a bird could fly over the country without his permission. If he had Alia, then he would keep her in a place where no human would be able to enter without his will. If I wanted Alia back, then I would have to rage a war against Azmaayir.

Death was a better option than life without Alia. I didn't care if I lost everything in my effort to get back Alia. My wealth and the business empire would be useless if I couldn't have the woman I loved in my life. I would sacrifice everything that I have worked for my entire life to have Alia back in my life without a second. I would go to war against the whole world for her and wouldn't regret dying to save her.