Chapter 18: Game Over?

Athanasia sat in her room that she rented at the inn. The temperature was oddly chilly as she sat on the bed shaking with a nervous expression on her face. Why you might ask? Well, it's kind of obvious when you have a menacing Dainsleif staring you down.

He stood before her with a grumpy face, his arms crossed. She chuckled awkwardly over the tense atmosphere before meeting his eyes, "So, am I in trouble?"

"You think?" he replied mockingly. He pinches the bridge of his nose before pointing an accusing finger at her, making her tense. "I left you to yourself for 3 minutes, and you whined yourself into a fighting tournament."

"A tournament that if I win, I might just have to see my father again," she said nervously.

"Even better." Dainsleif gave up and came over to the bed. He stood to the side before dramatically flopping into the sheet.

She let out a light chuckle and rolled her eyes. She gave him a comforting pat on the back before standing up and walking to the door. "I'm taking a stroll, see you later." Opening the door she gave him a wave before closing it behind her.

Dainsleif sat up with a huff as he eyed the door. "She never listens." he let out a sigh before noticing something small on the vanity.

He almost chokes on air when he recognizes the object. He walks to the vanity and holds up the glimmering ring with two fingers.

"Crap, she forgot the ring..."

__________

Strolling through the street with her hood on, Athanasia crosses the lively market with a smile on her.

She wouldn't lie that it has been a long time since she has felt so relieved when on a stroll. Usually, she would be forced to look behind her shoulder for guards or curious onlookers, but today was different.

Today, she's by herself with nothing but the wind in her hair and the ring...

The ring.

The Ring!

She looked down at her hand and almost fainted when she saw that it was missing.

Athanasia wanted to slap herself right then and there for her stupidity. But it's alright, her hood was on, and no one has yet to notice her identity. Everything is fine.

When she turned around to head back to the inn and retrieve her ring, she saw a woman whispering into the ears of a guard while pointing in her direction.

She tensely swallows her saliva and turns back in the other direction.

She was so screwed.

Then as if on cue, a carriage drove directly into the plaza before slowly slowing. Furthermore, it wasn't just any carriage. No. This fateful carriage holds the almighty royal family crest.

She knew exactly who was in that carriage.

Stepping out from the cabin stood the elegant Anastasius de Alger Obelia. The Emperor of Obelia. In his tailor suit and gleaming jewelry.

Or to sum it up, it's her dad.

Either this is karma for something horrible she did in the past, or her ancestors were just trying to mess with her miserable life. She'll go with the latter.

Worse of all was the person that came out and stood next to him.

Penelope Judith.

That witch.

She stood next to him with a fan covering half of her face and a sneer hidden underneath it. "Why are we here, Anastasius," she complains in a bored tone.

"Because I'm hosting this town's annual Blue Moon tournament, and I'll hate to leave them down. I am their Emperor after all." Anastasius said with a cocky smirk, waving at some of the townsfolk that had stopped to look.

She just crossed her arms and rolled her eyes with an unconvincing expression on her face. "Sure."

20 feet away from where they are, Athanasia stood as still as a statue while constipating her life decision.

She couldn't go back to the inn from the direction she came from, and she definitely couldn't go forward, so that left the last option. The alley.

There was one located 2 feet away from where she stood and was perfect to get the guard off her tail.

She jogged to it and entered before sprinting down the dark and cramped space. Already she could hear footsteps pursuing behind her and it forced her to run even faster.

Making a sharp turn to the right she didn't see what happened but could hear a loud crash and cursing from behind. Must have been the guard crashing into something while making the turn.

When she didn't hear anything she was about to slow down and catch her breath, yet it was delayed when someone leaped down a few feet in front of her.

"Running would get you nowhere little thief."

She should have guessed that the hero would show up. Anastasius is that type after all.

Backing up, she took a few seconds to compose herself before continuing the chase.

She tried to lose him by making sharp turns or throwing nearby objects, but it seems nothing was stopping him. Then she was forced to stop when her face almost hit a wall. Looking up, her heart was filled with dread once she realized she had hit a dead end.

"Give up kid, the chase's over." Turning around she gripped the hood tightly to her face and backed against the wall.

"I know you have parents waiting for you so just come with me to guard headquarters and be done with this," he said impatiently.

She shook her head and backed away from his hand. He tried again to grab her but failed. "I'm getting tired of this!" Then he managed to get a grip on her hood, making her panic as she thrashed against his hold.

When she failed to release herself she pulled harder, making her topple over herself. In the process losing the hood.

"Stop messing around kid, and just come with me." He then gripped tightly on her arm and forced her to stand on her feet. She made the mistake of looking up into his eyes as he looked back at her in shock.

It was dead silence as the atmosphere was so dense that she could cut it with a knife. But the silence was cut off when Anastasius let out a chuckle. One that was filled with amusement.

"It seems the cat has finally caught the mice," he said, looking into her eyes with a maniacal smile.

She draughted her eyes somewhere else. Refusing to look him in the eyes.

"Hi, dad. I guess this is game over."

__________