Part I: Chapter 1

Gemini picked the wrong day to go to the British Museum. 

It was the last day of their school's trip and they decided to finally visit the famed museum, and maybe perhaps get a glimpse of the Rosetta Stone. Gemini was a huge Egyptian Mythology nerd. Both their parents had died in an archeological-dig-gone-wrong, and naturally they were attracted to the thing that had taken their parents. 

A small part of them believed that maybe they would get to know their parents better by becoming a professional in their field. That maybe they could wear their name in pride instead of the usual dread. 

Their parents' deaths were famous, as messed up as it was. Zachary and Viola Amani were fairly new to the field, but they were ambitious and had some strange belief in themselves. Some kind of reassurance that they would find what they were looking for. Unfortunately no one would ever know what it was they were looking for. The dig site had completely crumbled, destroying everything inside and taking Gemini's parents with it.

Gemini shook off the depressing trip down memory lane, choosing to enjoy the museum for all its glory. Absentmindedly tugging at their braids, they walked up to a man with a badge, assuming he worked at the museum.

"Hello, sir. Can you direct me to the displays on Ancient Egypt?" Gemini tried to sound as polite as formal as possible, but they feared he overdid it.

The man looked down at Gemini. "Sorry, but we close soon. I am going to have to ask you to leave."

Gemini looked outside at the darkening sky. They frowned to theirself. How did they not notice just how late it was? They looked around the museum, now realizing that the museum was empty.

Interesting. Maybe I can get this security guard to let me in.

Gemini had always been to get their way. A quick word with the person in charge let them get access to things that no one would allow a typical 16 year old. Gemini would have thought they were magic, but believing in magic was for kids, and they weren't a kid.

"Can I have just five minutes? Please," they said to the guard. Gemini knew fully well that they wouldn't spend just five minutes in the museum. It wasn't their first time getting into a place that was technically closed.

Gemini looked the man in the eye. They could tell the man was leaning towards saying no, but a small part of him wanted to say yes too.

"I promise I will be in and out. It's the last day of my school's trip."

That was the wrong thing to say, apparently. "Why would your school let someone as young as you out at this time?"

"Oh, um, my teacher is at the store down the street, and he allowed me to come here. Quickly though." Gemini did not have any qualms with lying. "I won't tell anyone."

They looked at the man straight in the eye. They begged internally, repeating their request over and over. Gemini didn't know if they were making things up but they could almost feel a burning at their core. 

The security guard sighed. "Fine. You are very lucky that there's a little over an hour left. The staff inside will guide you to the Ancient Egyptian Wing and back." He pulled a walkie-talkie from his belt and mumbled a request. A few minutes later another security guard walked up to them.

"We don't usually do this, but we do get the occasional late visits."

Gemini thanked the man and headed to the security guard waiting for them. They waved at her and she returned a kind smile. 

They introduced theirself and listened patiently to the rules they would have to follow on this very special and unique tour. 

The security guard, whose name was Janet, mirrored Gemini's interest in the Ancient Egyptians, and she seemed to take a particular interest in the topic of magic. Based on the few minutes Gemini had known her, they could tell she was new to England, and that she had history with Ancient Egypt. 

"As I'm sure you know, Isis was worshipped as the goddess of magic, among other things, but what I am especially curious about is the god Heka."

Gemini stumbled. That name...

"Are you alright?" Janet turned to them. When she received a satisfactory response, she continued. "Heka is believed to be simultaneously magic and its god as well. It is unfortunate that a lot of what we know contradicts a majority of some of the more evident theories on Ancient Egypt." 

Gemini nodded, and they had to admit they were taken with this new idea of a different god. It was their first time hearing of him, but already they were building an obsession. 

Janet guided them to displays that Gemini was already familiar with but would never tire of. They took the opportunity to show off their situational intelligence.

"You are a very smart young man." Janet commended. 

Gemini internally winced. They couldn't blame her. Instead, they thanked her for the compliment. "I was pretty much born into this." 

"Oh?"

"My family is very passionate about Egyptian Mythology and its history. I don't blame them, though. I'm pretty much obsessed." Gemini paused to look at an engraved image of Isis. It had to be a trick of the light, but there was a flash of intelligence in her eyes, a weird presence. "Before I forget, are there any papers or books on Heka?" 

Janet smiled wryly. "I have one on hand, actually." She dug her hand into the breast-pocket of her jacket. "Just a warning, you won't find another copy of this." She gingerly handed the book to them. 

Gemini was a little confused. "Then why are you giving it to me? No disrespect intended."

"I already made a copy. Besides, it would do you more of a service than it would to me. I've had it for a long time.

They looked at the book. It was pocket sized and a dusty brown. The cover had some hieroglyphs carved into it. Mindlessly shuffling through the pages, they mentally noted the amount of hieroglyphs in the book as well. Gemini put into their jean pocket.

"I really appreciate this. I'm not sure I will be able to do much with it, but I still appreciate it."  

Janet smiled knowingly. "Don't worry. I'm confident in your abilities."

Gemini gave her a hesitant smile, a little too confused to respond. 

"And that wraps up the individual tour." Janet glanced at her wrist watch. "Right about closing time." 

Gemini looked around. For the second time in just a few hours they lost track of the time. They looked through nearby windows and registered the darkness in surprise. They were alone in the museum. 

"This way." Janet beckoned at them. "Do you have someone to pick you up?"

They backtracked and began their walk back to the entrance. 

"My uncle is on his way to pick me up." Gemini said. They were lying but she didn't need to know that. "You can leave me at the front entrance, he should pull around any second now."

Janet hesitated before nodding. "Good night, and don't lose that book." 

Gemini nodded. "Thanks for the tour!" They waved at her and watched as she faded in the darkness of the museum. 

They waited for at least ten minutes before returning to the doors. 

Gemini had never intended to go home. They were going to steal an ancient artifact from the British Museum.