Chapter 18

The sun was just setting on the horizon. Rugged mountain ranges stretched out on either side, and the desert floor between them seemed to go on forever. In a valley to our left lay a colorless city—hardly any trees or grass, just sand, gravel, and buildings. The city was much smaller than Phoenix, though, and a large river traced its southern edge, glinting red in the fading light. The river curved around the base of the mountains below us before snaking off to the north.

"We're on the moon," Gemini heard Sadie murmur.

"El Paso, Texas," Bast corrected. "And that's the Rio Grande." She paused to take a deep breath. "A river civilization in the desert. Very much like Egypt, actually! Well, except for the fact that Mexico is next door. I think this is the best spot to summon Nephthys."

You really think she'll tell us Set's secret name?" Sadie asked.

Bast considered. "Nephthys is unpredictable, but she has sided against her husband before. We can hope."

That didn't sound very promising. Gemini stared at the river far below. "Why did you park us on the mountain? Why not closer?"

Bast shrugged, as if this hadn't occurred to her. "Cats like to get as high up as possible. In case we have to pounce on something."

"Great," Carter said. "So if we have to pounce, we're all set."

"It's not so bad," Bast said. "We just climb our way down to the river through a few miles of sand, cacti, and rattlesnakes, looking out for the Border Patrol, human traffickers, magicians, and demons—and summon Nephthys."

Sadie whistled. "Well, I'm excited!"

Khufu sniffed the air and snarled.

"He smells something dangerous. Something bad is about to happen." Bast translated.

Gemini didn't need any further warning. They summoned their staff, and the moment it materialized from the Duat, Gemini felt a thrum of power. It also felt more like a weapon in their hands, compared to when it was first handed to them by Zia. 

They used their staff as a walking stick and to anchor theirself as they walked down the mountain.

Gemini quietly and carefully walked to the river bank when they had reached the bottom. They could hear Carter say something urgent to Bast behind them, but they were a little focused on the feeling of wrongness they were getting from the water. They weren't sure if it was because of their experience with the River of Night, or if something dangerous really was close.

Sadie crouched beside them, her fingers lightly touching surface of the river. Large ripples spread from her fingers, and she called out to Nephthys. "Hullo, Nephthys? Anyone home?" 

Gemini stifled a giggle, and Sadie glared at them quickly. 

But then, something odd happened. Gemini could hear a voice. It was familiar, and also extremely faint. They cocked their head. Their eyes narrowed in focus.

"What's she saying?" Bast asked.

"I can't quite make it out." Sadie leaned closer to the river.

"You can hear something?" Carter asked incredulously.

They all shushed him.

"'Caged'? No, that isn't the word," Gemini said. They were aware of the fact that the voice they were hearing wasn't even speaking English. It sounded like Arabic, but they could still understand it. "What language even is that?"

"Sounds like Ancient Egyptian," Sadie said absentmindedly. Gemini felt that that information was crucial, but they couldn't spare any attention on that.

"Um, Bast-"

"Please, Carter. I can barely hear anything."

Gemini turned to Carter, getting too frustrated to try and hear what Nephthys had to say. "What's wrong?"