chapter three: the garden of healing

Its so late, I can't sleep, I WISH FOR DEATH OR CHEESE FRIES.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's so peaceful...still water, it's the most peaceful and quiet thing to observe. Petals floating in it barely make waves as it rests in its crevice ever so peacefully...I wish that I could do that.

"Child."
A soft voice mutters. I turn away from the small pond I had been staring at for...I'm not sure for how long.

"Mother Miranda...why are you here so early?"
I ask, a small smile etched onto my face. It's always a pleasure to see Mother Miranda...she's the only person who visits me.

I'm aware of the others of course. She's told me stories of Lord's and Ladies that live in the village, and has even told me that one day...I could be one. A true piece of her family.

"I come bearing great news, my child...come, walk with me."
She says, her voice is as quiet and graceful as it's been since the day we met...well, since as far as I can remember us meeting.

I nod and stand, walking beside her in the small garden I had become accustomed to calling my home. It's a wonderful place, truly, although sometimes I do wonder where I originally came from. I guess it's unimportant. wherever I was from, I'm here now.

"Child...do you remember what I had told you upon your birth?"
Mother Miranda asks, her steps small and quiet on the cracked cobblestone path. I try my best to think back to that day, though it feels like small sparks go up and down my body when I try. Chills, they're called. Mother Miranda says that's normal, so I ignore them and continue to think.

When I was born, or at least born as a new person...I was laying on an old table. My chest was split open and I watched it fill itself in with new tissue and skin...I didn't say a word. It would've been traumatizing if it weren't for Mother Miranda's gift. It heals all, trauma of any kind simply ceases to exist.

'You are who you were meant to be, my dear child. With my guidance, we will reach heights that many can only dream of reaching.'

"You said I was who I was meant to be, that you'd guide me to greatness."
I quote from my hazy memory, she smiles faintly at the answer...I'm glad I gave her the correct answer.

"You looked so tired when you finally opened your eyes...like a newborn infant adjusting to light for the very first time. And oh, how you sobbed when you told me that you couldn't remember who or where you were. Oh, my poor child.."
She coos, ghosting her hand over my jawline before putting her hands back behind her.

I was terrified...the only memory of my past that I could remember was a sense of panic and terror, it didn't help that Mother Miranda was looming over me with a smile I had thought to be menacing at the time...But when she took my hand and comforted me, when she gave me a place to live and promised to help me heal...I knew she was far from menacing. She's my Mother.

She was patient with me, gentle with me, and gave me my own secluded haven...a large garden, deep in the forest, it illuminates itself in light when the village on the other side of the trees has nothing but darkness covering it. I love my home, I've loved it for years now. I'm unbelievably grateful for her kindness towards me.

"I was afraid then...But I understand now."
I mumble, she looks to me, not stopping her pace but locking eyes with me like she knew every turn and pebble on the path and had no need to watch where she was going.

"What do you believe you understand?"
She asks.

"That...I was meant to die so that I could be reborn. I don't remember anything, But I'm sure that my life led me down a wrongful path..and you saved me from suffering from it any longer."
I explain. A twinge of déjà vu digs into my mind for a split second before evaporating and leaving a small sense of nostalgia where it once stood.