chapter six: preparing for a rabbit hunt

Heisenberg POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel like I'm retracing steps that I made years ago. I'd say fuck it and just storm the fucking castle...but something tells me that'd just lead me with Lady fucko's claws being where my lungs are supposed to be.

"Godamnit...the things I do for that fucking human."
I groan to myself. They're getting an earful after I get them out of whatever trance they're in.

I've been working on the plan of getting into the castle courtyard for hours but I ended up having to take a break. Maintenance in this place never fucking ends. It's taking forever to weld this wall. The scratches are littering all the places that are hard to fucking fix. At least I got a way to kill the time.

It's just like the first time I swiped them from Miss tall-terror's iron grip. I wait until dark, then I just...go in through the window! I couldn't get through the window before they saw me last time, but things change. Worst case scenario I knock out a couple of the fruit flies that she calls her daughters.

The plan seems fine, but the details have me in a tight stressful grip. Every time I think everything is covered I end up finding something new to worry about. Somewhere in my head there's thoughts that piss me off, something you'd hear coming out the mouth of one of Miranda's 'kids'.

What if (y/n) doesn't want to come with me?

What if they like this careless life better?

Damn this day....damn this entire fucking scenario! If they just fucking listened to me and didn't follow Miranda to wherever she went....no, I can't blame them for that. They wanted to help me escape and they risked their life. I guess they ended up losing it in a certain sense, didn't they? Fuck me.

I'll sneak by the castle walls for a second, get the lay of the land for the first time in two years, then use the knowledge to get in through whatever cracks they've been leaving unattended. That's step A, That's all I need to make sure I get in tonight. I'll make this right. I won't have to feel like shit about letting them fall into Miranda's hands, I won't have to deal with these assholes any longer...we can just go like we planned. They can help me function in the world as we go but as far as I'm concerned I just need them and I'm all good.

...Don't wait up, Buttercup.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The morning air sends chills down my spine when I wake up. I'm surprised I even feel asleep, those shocks were invading my mind all throughout the night. I really must tell Mother Miranda of how intense they've gotten since I left the garden, maybe she'll have me return to it.

A gentle knock stirs me from my wishful thinking. I say nothing, though it opens nonetheless. Alcina crouches slightly to make her way into my bedroom.

"Ah, I always loved this room. How was your night, dearest?"
She asks me. I brush over the sudden pet name, deciding it's simply a family thing.

"Relatively well. I woke up a few times, though the sleep itself was okay."
I state. She hums and opens the door a little wider.

"I'm glad. Come along now, I have a surprise for you in another room."
Alcina tells me.

I throw off the heavy blanket and stretch my arns and legs out before getting out of bed and following Alcina. This castle is far bigger than I realized, it feels like it goes on endlessly.

We end up at a dining area eith about a dozen chairs. There's no plates, but there are wine glasses and extremely fancy bottles of what I'm guessing is the wine. Alcina sits in the one chair that's greater in size.

"Go on, sit. We'll only be here for a moment, I assure you."
Alcina says. I trust her, though I'd much rather be asleep than in this room.

Alcina opens one of the wine bottles and pours it. I can smell it from the other end of the table...but it doesn't smell like wine. She smiles at me and drinks it despite the odd smell it has.

"So, Alcina...would it be possible for me to explore? I'll most likely be staying for a while, knowing my way around the castle grounds would be useful."
I suggest. She seems to think for only a moment before her face goes sour.

"Dear...I don't think that's a good idea. There are things here that aren't kind to...oh."
Her words stop abruptly, leaving me confused and concerned. She seems to do these things often, leaving me confused with her words. I wonder, what secrets is Alcina hiding? Perhaps I'm just paranoid.

"'Oh'?"
I repeat. Her face shifts back into a smile and she takes a long swig of the 'wine' in her cup.

"I guess it would be beneficial...go ahead, dear rabbit."
Alcina says. It's like she threw her other sentence away entirely. Her voice is nonchalant, perhaps the calmest I've heard her speak since I met her.

With a newfound sense of victory I nod and settle happily in my chair. Alcina smiles, but she seems stressed in a way. Her fingers are tapping the table and her other hand is tightly gripping her cup. We sit there for what feels like an eternity.

What are we doing? I see no point in this.

Dimitrescu POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn it all, girls...what on earth could make you take so long? Did Cassandra even tell the others that they're supposed to be here? I swear, if she slept instead of relaying this important information...

"Alcina, how much longer will it take?"
(Y/n) asks me. They look bored with this place, which is fair. This is one of few rooms the girls circle around during the day, but it's also just a dimly lit room that stays a humidly warm temperature at all day.

"I...don't know, dear rabbit."
I answer truthfully, having no lies in mind for this situation.

(Y/n) sighs and nods, slouching in their chair while staring at the door to the courtyard. It's like they're trying to make me feel like a monster for keeping them in here. It's working, unfortunately, and I begin to crack.

...I should get the girls myself, prepare them for what they'll see and what questions they'll have that can't be answered.

"(Y/n), go on and play in the courtyard...I'll get your surprise myself."
I say with a sigh. Their entire face lights up, it looks like the face I became so familiar with. A part of me says that their face proves the original them is still in there...and another part of me scolds me for wanting this version to leave.

They get up and go out the door almost immediately after I say that they can. I'm left on my own, sitting in the room that I once had high hopes for.

...now to find the girls and give each of them the scolding of a lifetime.