Pied Piper

Anelie traveled from town to town and finally ended up in Hamelin, Germany when she decided to take a break and rest once again.  She went to go and see if she could afford a room in an inn for a day or two.  She found one, entered, and paid for her stay.  She had a comfy bed for once and made sure that there was a place to lay down her magic pipe for the upcoming night.  There was.   She always held onto it unless she was sleeping.   She became bored and decided to play a harmless tune on her magic pipe for some entertainment.  After a while she decided to stop and get something to eat when she heard some interesting news as she was eating her soup.

"How are you holding up old friend?" A man to her left said to the man across from him.  The man who talked was broad but almost skeletal.  The man sitting across from him was small and almost skeletal.  They were both wearing brown outfits and had brown hair and brown shaggy beards and mustaches.  She turned her head slightly and looked out of the corner of her eye.

"Not good," the other man said.  There was a pause before he spoke again.  "Wish they'd take care of those rats already.   I can't eat anything with them rodents always eating everything I have saved in the first place."

Anelie turned back around and finished eating her soup and then she went to bed and set her magic pipe down on the desk by the bed and blew out the candle and went to sleep.

I'll go see the mayor in the morning, she thought as she fell into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Anelie woke up before dawn and left to visit the mayor.  It was a bit of a walk, but not too bad, especially since she was used to long, hard walks in the first place.  She tried opening the door, but the door was locked.   She tried knocking.  Nothing.

The only thing left to do is wait.   So, she waited until dawn which was when someone came by to unlock the door.  He wore a brown top and bottoms.   While she wore pied clothes.   A dress actually.  Her hair the color of fire, while his was the color of wheat.  She had gray-blue eyes and he had dark blue eyes.  She had many freckles spread all over her face and neck while he only had several light freckles spread across his nose and upper cheeks.

He opened the door and entered the building while she followed behind him.  He sat behind his desk with papers piled up next to him and got to work reading and signing them.  Anelie walked up to him and asked him, "Are you the mayor?"  He looked up at her and raised an eyebrow and set down his quill.

He folded his hands in front to him on top of his desk and answered, "Yes."

"I hear you have some rat trouble Mr. Mayor, and I've come to offer my service for a price if you're willing.  You see, I have this magic pipe with me," she held it out for him to see it, "And it can control rats, so I can rid your city of all of them.  What do you say Mr. Mayor?" She asked, eyes intent.  He looked thoughtful, brushing his fingers against his chin like he was rubbing a beard for a minute before deciding.

"Done!" He pointed his finger at her.  "How much?" He asked.

She made a showing of her hands and held one finger up indicating a one.  "1,000 guilders."  She folded her arms and turned sideways, looking at him, "And I won't go any lower."  He nodded his head quickly and shook her hand.

"Anything!  Thank you so much Ms... Ms... what?" He asked looking unsure.

"Anelie.  But you can just call me the Pied Piper."  She smiled and turned away and left the building.  The sunlight glinting off of her hair made Anelie look like a warrior.