Mutation

The mayor stared after Anelie as she left watching her back until she closed the door behind her.  He was pleased that he now had someone to take care of the rat problem but thought back on how much he agreed to pay her.

"It's too much," he sighed and then got back to work.

He was looking through his paperwork and had a thought.  Maybe I won't give her the 1,000 guilders in the end and just give her 50 guilders instead.  He smiled and closed his eyes, nodding to himself.  "That's perfect.  Glad I thought of it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was getting towards the end of the mayor's workday when suddenly, someone banged on his office door and called out to him shouting "Mr. Mayor, open up.  Help me, please!"  The mayor got up from his seat and walked toward the door and as he was opening the door, he was about to ask what was wrong when right as the doorknob was turned, he felt the door pushing up against him and knocked him down, landing on his butt.

"Ouch!" He exclaimed as he landed on his butt.

He looked up and saw who it was that came in.  It was a woman with a purple dress and blond hair.  She turned around right after she came in and closed the door and pushed herself up against it pressing her bodyweight against the door as if afraid that someone or something will attempt to come inside.

The woman turned her head and looked at him who was to her left and yelled at him "Come on!  Get the key and lock the door already!  This is an emergency!"

Her shout startled the mayor and he got up, went to his desk and got the key and began to lock the door.  As he was locking the door, he snuck a peak at the woman.  Her expression wasn't good.  He knew then something was terribly wrong.  He finished locking the door, stood up and looked at her again.

When she saw the door was locked, she was visibly relieved and let out a loud sigh, stepping away from the door.

"What's going on Mrs. Abt?"  Her name was Emery Abt.  She was the village cobbler.

She turned to look at me and said something unbelievable to me.  "On my way here, I saw this huge even more freaky than usual rat.  It was acting even more crazy than usual, and I was even close enough to smell it because it ended up seeing me and chasing me on my way here and it smelled like death."  She took a deep breath and said, "They just don't look right.  Oh!  And I saw that it eats anything.  I managed to escape the rats because the rats saw someone else and decided to go after them instead.  I don't know why.  I was right in front of them and they almost caught me.  I did see that once the rats managed to catch up to that person, the rat was eating that person.  The rat would eat wood, people, animals, you name it," she was counting them off with her fingers.

He figured we had a pretty big problem on our hands.  He grabbed his coat and said, "Let's go!"  He needed to find the Pied Piper now so that she could take care of this problem.  He pulled out his key and unlocked the door, leaving while dragging Emery Abt with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They ran into the rat Ms. Abt talked about before on their way to look for the Pied Piper and ended up running for their lives as a result.  The rat was dangerous.  Emery was right about him.  It wasn't slow either.  They managed to hide and saw the Pied Piper on Hamelin Street as they entered between two buildings to hide.  Both of them houses.

"You must help us.  Please!"  the mayor said to the Pied Piper and ran up to her not noticing the surrounding mice already following behind her.