Moon Siblings

Just a cute little drabble. I'm writing a chaptered story related to this. Don't know when I will publish it.

------------------------------------------------

It was Chimon's first day at school.

All the first graders were running around the school grounds, hand in hand with all their friends. His Phaw Jumpol dropped him off at the gates. He was supposed to accompany little Chimon to his first class but someone at work called. Chimon thinks his dad's work as a minister was really hard. His dad had that worried look on his face, knowing he won't be able to come along with Chimon, but the little pup promised him that he'll be okay.

As he made it through the promenade of trees, an arm slung over his shoulders. Nanon was grinning happily at him.

"Phi! You're here too!" said Nanon.

"Of course he is, nong," Nanon's older brother, Frank, chuckled lowly, waving over Fiat who was already in his P.E. uniform.

Nanon and Frank were children of Chimon's Uncle Tay and New. Fiat was his Uncle Singto and Krist's only son. They all belonged in the same pack. A wolf pack. Him and Nanon were almost the same age but Chimon was a tad bit older. Their grandparents called the two of them luna frates or what they call moon siblings because they were born under the same phase of the moon. His Phaw Gun once told him it was all superstition but Chimon thinks it's really cool. It was like Nanon was his twin.

Frank and Fiat had already left once they entered the hallway for first graders. Nanon was excitedly guiding him to their classroom. "Phaw Tay took me to see Auntie Jennie—I mean Director Panhan—last Friday!" said Nanon. "She showed me our classroom! It was so pretty! C'mon, let's get some good seats!"

Outside their classroom, there was a boy with thick glasses that looked a little lost. Chimon was a little too shy to talk to him but Nanon quickly jumped in with a smile on his face.

"Hi! I'm Nanon and this is Chimon!" Chimon had always found Nanon when he's jumpy a bit funny. "What's your name?"

The boy adjusted his glasses. "Ohm...My name is Ohm..."

"Do you need help, Ohm?"

"I don't know where my classroom is," said Ohm with a blush. "I'm in 1B..."

"I know where that is!" Nanon grabbed Ohm's hand and dragged him down the hallway with Chimon in tow. "C'mon, I'll show you! It's just down the end of the building."

When they arrived at Ohm's classroom, their newfound friend thanked them happily. Chimon asked if he wanted to join them during recess and Ohm said yes. A few hours later, they were sitting under a large tree and they watched Frank and Fiat play basketball at the court across the grass field. They ate their recess and Ohm was wide-eyed over the number of food boxes Chimon had. He said he had never seen so many food in his life.

Ohm was part of another clave, different from the clave Chimon's grandfather ruled. His mom was an omega wolf and his dad was not a wolf.

"How does that work?" asked Nanon. "So you're just a half-wolf?"

Ohm shook his head. "N-No...I'm a full wolf! I have fangs and I can smell stuff better!"

"What's that?" Chimon pointed at the bracelet around Ohm's wrist. "It looks nice."

"My mom said it's a noppakao bracelet," said Ohm. "It's to keep me safe. I...I feel weird sometimes..."

"Get weird?" Nanon titlted his head. "What kind of weird?"

Ohm's ears turned pink and Chimon could see that their new friend looked a bit scared. "The other kids in my clave say that I talk funny and my eyes turn white, and then I feel tired and fall asleep. But one of our elders said that I was—"

"—a Sakdi," said Chimon. "A gifted wolf."

"Yes, that what he called it. But all the younger wolves don't agree with him," said Ohm.

"Well, I think it's cool," said Nanon.

"Really?" Ohm's cheeks turned red. "T-Thank you."

A few minutes later, recess ended and their classes continued. Nanon was scared of all the numbers and kept scratching his head.

The school day ended and they walked together towards the school gate. Ohm went home with his mother who smiled and waved at Chimon and Nanon. She looked very happy that her son made new friends. Nanon took a ride home with Chimon because they were also going to Nanon's house.

Jumpol watched the two pups fall asleep beside him in the backseat of the car: Chimon curled up beside Nanon, arm over Nanon and hands holding tightly to his friend's hand. Chimon's head nuzzled on Nanon's chest. The minister looked at them with a smile.