4 | Daughter of Dust

"𝑰𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒘𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒊𝒆𝒄𝒆𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒆 𝒘𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒊𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒇𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔."

Ally Condie

.

.

.

.

We went around Liyue asking about the Rite of Descension for a while, most people not being extremely helpful. Finally a guy with a funky mustache ends up being our help, directing us to Yujing Terrace. The three of us made our way up the stairs, following the long line of people. My nerves seemed to worsen the closer we got. A long table filled with foods of different kinds was set up at the center of the terrace. I let Aether and Paimon wish and I moved toward the back of the crowd so I wouldn't block everyone's way.

It was ridiculous how easily I could see over everyone. I glanced around, starting to feel a little self conscious about my height. I wished Aether had caught me at a different time so I could've changed my height. Then I could fit in a little better. Or maybe they thought I could've been part Adepti? It's not unheard of for them to grow tall.

I ignored my thoughts and focused on what was happening up ahead. A woman with white hair and red eyes walked into the center of the crowd alongside two helpers. Ah, she must be Ningguang, aka the woman the weird mustache guy had been talking about. She peered into the sky, making sure the time was right. I clenched my hands, excitement bubbling in my chest.

"The hour is upon us," she proclaimed. The women at her sides bowed as geo crystals swirled around her like a crystalline tornado. The crystals whizzed forward, encircling the pot thing - I had no idea what to call it - before-

Whoosh!

A pillar of yellow-orange light shot high into the sky, piercing the clouds. I frowned. Something was wrong. The clouds turned an angry gray, swirling around the light faster and faster. I could see Ningguang take notice of the change in atmosphere. I braced myself for what was to come as the sky became enraged, wind howling violently.

Everyone gasped as Rex Lapis in his dragon-qilin form crashed into the table and sent up a cloud of dust. Coughing, I used my hand to try and keep the dust away from my nose. My stomach sank as the cloud disappeared and we were able to see Rex Lapis clearer. I had to stop myself from running over when his head flopped down. Ningguang is quick to check on him.

Please don't be dead, not after I just arrived.

The people whispered amongst themselves, debating what was going on. My head felt oddly light the longer we went without an answer. As soon as she turned around, I knew my hopes had been for naught.

"Rex Lapis has been killed! Seal the exits!" She ordered. Like clockwork, the Millelith rushed into Yujing terrace, surrounding the crowd to keep anybody from moving. I had to make myself disappear. They were going to nab anyone who looked suspicious or who got too close. On one hand, how could I be suspect? I'm way too tall to move efficiently without jostling people. On the other, I stuck out like an iron ingot amongst crystals.

I made a break for it. I carefully avoided the soldiers' eyes as I made my escape, catching sight of Aether and Paimon up ahead of me. Seems like they had the same idea. It didn't take much for me to catch up to them and soon enough we're side by side again. "I'm going to check around the corner," I whisper. "On my count run."