16 | Temporal Distortion

The concept of time is an ancient one. One older than many of the mountains that stood tall and at attention in Liyue. Subsequently, the concept of space is just as old as it, it always reaches where time has long since visited. I like to think of time and space as something that I can materialize and shape as I please. I can push things to a different area by increasing the distance between me and it and I can bring things to me by "erasing" the distance between me and it.

Childe floated in front of me, no doubt assessing the situation. I'd been able to analyze his attack pattern from being off to the sidelines while the others fought. He had not bore witness to any of my own abilities aside from the trick I'd pull with setting him back at the entrance of the Golden House.

"If you can touch even a thread of my clothing," I told him. "I'll consider you a worthy adversary."

"I'm not sure if you're aware," said Childe, spinning his blade behind him, "but my speed far exceeds you."

"I think you misunderstood me. You will not be touching a single thread of my clothing."

He teleported in front of me, his blade headed straight for my neck. I parried his blow, pleasantly surprised by how aggressive he was being with me. He seemed to get wound up the longer I didn't attempt hitting him.

I evaded each one of his attacks and analyzed his frenzied attack pattern. He really was going in for the kill.

"This isn't much of a fight, I'm growing increasingly bored of you, Juno," tutted Childe, circling around me like a predator closing in on its prey.

Clang!

I lunged forward and slammed the shaft of my polearm against his blade. Our weapons were locked for a moment, his arms shook with the effort to keep me from pinning him down. He jumped back once he recognized I was beginning to win.

I didn't let him get away, viciously attacking him with swift jabs and swings. He parried as much as could. In a rather bold attempt at offense, he swung his blade at my head.

He whirled in surprise when I appeared behind him. "You-"

Childe looked down, my polearm had pierced through his armor. The soft splatter of blood permeated the momentary silence. Then he chuckled, the unhinged man no doubt enjoyed this too much.

"You, you truly are something else," he hummed, twisted delight in his voice. "Who are you really, Juno? I get the feeling you're someone dangerous. Someone who knows more than they let on. Where's the gnosis? I know you took it, give it to me, give it to me!" His clawed hands grabbed the collar of my robe and he seemed to barely pay mind to the spear still embedded in his side.

I instead asked, "How old were you when you fell into the abyss? Fourteen, correct?"

He paused. "What are you talking about?"

"Juno? What's going on?" I heard Lei-li's voice, high pitched with fear as the world around us warped, purple creeped outward from the spot I stood and encircled Childe.

I hate to do this to him, but I had to show him just how serious I was when I warned him that he would not be able to touch me. Even that meant resorting to...one of the tactics I had never liked using this.

The snow was nothing but a simple nuisance as he and his friend frantically ran. A wolf pack had spotted them. Tears slipped down his cheeks, beginning to freeze as they fell. This hadn't been as bright an idea as he'd hoped, after all, what was there for him to find by running away from home? All he had was Ilya, his closest friend and their bags of clothes.