30 | Memories of the Shattered Galaxy

Boom, there's what Delta looks like. I need to redraw her too.

.

.

.

8,015 years ago

When I came into existence I did not have a clear "purpose". My so-called "purpose" at the time seemed only to exist, to prove a point to the eyes of the sky. Meaningless is what existence felt like to me. My sister seemed like a reminder to me that I truly was nothing in the eyes of the universe. Wisdom radiated from her very shoulders, secrets untold lay hidden within the very depths of her eyes, and whispers of the past, present and future often graced her mind with their presence. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. In my eyes, there were no other gods that could rival her knowledge. There was just no way someone could know more than her. She who knew what you ate without even having to look at you, she who could predict the weather weeks in advance.

If someone could know more than her, I'd be impressed. Though being able to impress a fifteen year old isn't exactly that hard when you think about it but I digress.

The main point here is that everyone seemed to have a purpose except me. A hand gently brushed against my hair, drawing my attention away from my thoughts. Delta had turned away from her books to address me. I tilted my head in question, her pink eyes never did give away her true thoughts. It was a fact many saw as deceptive but I never did. I might be quite biased, however. "What's got you thinking so hard?" She questioned, a single eyebrow raising. "I can practically see your thoughts floating out of your ears."

My cheeks immediately painted themselves red. I looked away from her and crossed my arms. "I'm bored. There isn't much to do around here if you don't count staring at the sun and praying it'll crash down upon us."

"Nihilism at its finest. Let me find something for you real quick," sighed Delta, turning away to pull something from her bag. Confused, I attempted to peek over her shoulder, only for her hat to nearly take my eye out with its brim. I'd told her it was needlessly big but apparently she liked such an obnoxiously large hat so I wouldn't continue complaining about it. "How about this: I give you this sketchbook and every day I'll give you a new prompt to draw. You can decorate the cover as you wish and I'll give you watercolors to paint with." She handed me a rather thick, leather bound book. It was heavy in my hand, the smooth leather cool to the touch. No doubt she'd had this for quite some time.

Art had been a recent thing I'd taken interest in. "Your first prompt will be the stars. Later tonight, I want you to spend time memorizing the night sky and then draw what you remember in the morning, okay?"

"...Alright, fine. I can do that. Seems rather simple, though," I said as I turned the book over in my hand. Would I ever be able to finish such a thing? "I don't think I'll ever have the motivation to finish this." A knowing look crossed in her eyes and I just knew this would be the key to some sort of strange event that would happen later. I rolled my eyes at it and resigned myself to my fate. Opening the book, I held a page between my thumb and index finger to test its thickness and texture. It was smooth to the touch and definitely thick enough to withstand watercolor. I can deal with this, I suppose.

I put the sketchbook away. "You do not have to draw in it every day. It's just to give you something to do so you won't whine to me about it," Delta said, thumbing through her notes. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the remark and leaned back against the tree, closing my eyes to take a nap. Delta and I were going to be against the tree for a good few hours. She'd said something about nature being one of the most freeing scenes to write and study in. I would agree if tiny bugs weren't constantly trying to make themselves home in my nose, eyes, ears, or hair. I could agree the atmosphere was great though. I glanced up at the sky above us. Puffy, white clouds gently moved across it. A new thought entered my head.