24 | Dragon Tales Within the Night

6,000 years ago

Dragons were a majestic race of immortals. I'd never formally met one but it's pretty easy to recognize one when they're flying in the air. My favorite ones were the geo dragons. I'd always been a fan of earthy tones and golds so, suffice to say, it made sense they were my favorites. Delta constantly told me of the countless ones she'd encountered before I came into existence just to make me jealous. She was only a hundred and two years older than me, I don't know why she makes such a big deal out of it.

Wet grass crunched beneath my feet, the dew of early morning having settled in. A nice breeze ghosted past and playfully wiggled my clothes and a beautiful full moon shone brightly in the sky. Nights like these were perfect for some alone time since Delta was too busy doing whatever she was doing. She never tells me what exactly it is.

Maybe I'd spot a dragon here as well. I flopped down in the grass (mentally noted that I'd be forced to wash the grass out later) and stared up at the silent darkness. What if I put a constellation there? It wouldn't have a particular meaning just that it would look pretty. I raised my hand and closed one of my eyes, tracing the shape of a goat into the sky.

Shortly thereafter, stars burst to life in far away galaxies, lined up in the shape I'd traced. Oh how beautiful stars were. Balls of light that could support planets perfect for life to thrive.

A shadow fell over me.

My eyebrows furrowed. Today was supposed to be a clear night, no clouds should be in sight. I jolted up when something landed near me, shaking the ground with its weight. Catalyst in hand, I jumped away and readied myself for a potential fight.

Glowing amber rose from the ground, a ghostly steam creeping from beneath them, a low rumble of a growl echoed around me and I began to realize just what I was facing.

The dragon's slit pupiled eyes held an unknown emotion as they regarded me. All sense of my self preservation was quickly thrown out of the window once the realization truly set in. This was amazing! I'd seen my first living dragon! Most dragons could talk, right? He didn't seem annoyed when I approached him, walking slowly so I didn't come off as a threat.

His gaze only turned into a glare once I was within two yards of him.

"You are trespassing within my territory."

My steps halted. I stared up at him in confusion. "Your territory? I come here every night," I protested. If it were day time, I could more easily see his features. He seemed a little on the smaller side of what Delta would describe to me when she would meet dragons. Many of them were at least thirty feet long, they were a proud species who prided themselves on their power and strength to even rival the gods. Maybe he was a baby.

His posture changed almost immediately, eyes going from relaxed wariness to a blazing warning in seconds. I hastily backed away from him, putting my hands up in surrender. "Leave. Now," he ordered, eyes narrowing on me.

"Hey, hey, maybe we can talk this out?" I said, smiling even though I knew he couldn't see it. "Perhaps we could even work out a deal where we share the land? I have been coming here since I was younger."

He didn't like that. The dragon snarled. "I will not say it again. Leave now, Mortal, or face divine consequences."

This is the part where I knock the scales right off of him in shock. "Mortal?" I said, affronted. "Has any mortal ever lived to be two thousand and thirty?" I was far from mortal, in fact, but I also knew how to pick my battles wisely. I was not very strong as of now and seeing as how this dragon controlled so much space, he was definitely much stronger than I. However, my ability to evade attacks meant that maybe I could stick around and annoy him.