17 | Like a Geyser Truths Rise to the Surface

I had much explaining to do, I realized that. The strain of finally accessing my powers after millennia of not having used them weighed heavily on me. And then...there was Lei-li who was severely injured, her breaths coming out in short, wheezy gasps. I knew I had no place in the discussion of what would happen with Liyue and its adepti. Their eyes are on me the moment I reverted back to my mortal form, planning to seal my gnosis once more.

I gently took Lei-li from the Milleith soldier's hands and turned to address the adepti. "The discussion of Liyue's future is best left to you," I said, doing my best to keep an expressionless face.

Xiao's face contorted into anger immediately. "Hold on, we deserve an ex—"

"And I will give you one," I said, annoyance slipping into my voice. "But, please, Lei-li is dying, I have to do something." I turned and ran off as fear clawed its way into my heart. Childe had obviously injured her severely and getting hit by one of Osial's attacks had been the final nail in the coffin. I wasn't about to let her die like this. The trip to Bubu Pharmacy was quick on account of me finally giving up and teleporting.

A man with green hair and a white snake greeted me. "No time to talk, she needs help and now," I cut him off. It was rude but my nerves were beyond frayed and my entire body ached so bad. Without a word the man nodded and ushered me into the back where a bunch of beds and equipment I couldn't name were set up. He instructed me to lay her down.

"How was she injured?" A voice that clearly did not belong to the man questioned. I decided not to question it and explained as best as I could without revealing anything that could out me as a god.

"Ah, so we have a heroine on our hands here," hummed the man, having introduced himself as Dr. Baizhu. The white snake, Changsheng, laid her head on his shoulder, seemingly analyzing me. Animals and their innate ability to see through people would forever be something that I admired...and more or less feared. "Not to worry, we can stabilize her condition. Whether or not she makes it is...up to her willpower. It seems these previous arrow and sword wounds were what really did the most damage. The elemental damage from Osial was no doubt what did her in."

My eyebrows furrowed, my earlier worry once again sent my heartbeat skyward. I knew Lei-li and I knew she could be stubborn as a mule. Her face was pale as her body attempted to correct itself, her breaths short and shallow. I laid my hand on her forehead — it was so hot it was scary — and wiped the sweat from her brows. "Please, take care of her," I said, trying not to let my voice betray the mess within my head. "I'll be back to check on her once I finish the business I have to attend to."

"We will await that moment, Mr. Juno," Changsheng said, her head now lifted to regard me with curious red eyes. Against my better judgement, I leaned down and gently pressed a kiss to Lei-li's forehead. Now, I supposed it would be best to see where the others were with their discussion.

A part of me couldn't shake the feeling Dr. Baizhu was not exactly the best person to trust. I glanced over my shoulder as I left the pharmacy. It seemed like every person in Liyue was shady to some degree. The edges of my vision seemed to be unfocused and, to be honest, it felt like I was stumbling. The streets were littered with seaweed and debris, no doubt from the hectic mess with Osial.

I dreaded the moment I had to explain myself to the adepti.

"Juno! Juno!" I heard Paimon before I saw her.

"Hmm?" I asked, eyes slowly focusing on Aether and Paimon. It took a moment for it to click that they'd been trying to say something. "Oh, right...How'd the discussion with the adepti go?"

Paimon explained, "They decided to leave the people of Liyue to decide their future for themselves! They even said they'd aid in Lei-li's recovery."

I smiled at her. Some good news was definitely nice to hear. Wait, I had not seen any of them flying overhead? Ah, no doubt my tiredness. My body had to get used to having my godly status back. If I overworked myself, there was no doubt in my mind it would prove fatal. "That's good, that's good. What are you two up to now?"