The dawning of a new world

The day Alexander was brought to the demon island is the day he learned the truth. It wasn't deserted and swarming with dangerous creatures as they were all told.

There was a fair amout of people, not enough to make a kingdom, not even enough to fill each room in the castle, but they made it work. The outside of the castle was dangerous but not deadly, as long as you kept your witts about you.

The city developed underground, beneath the new castle was a bustling market and streets spreading out from it. The population was a little bit over five hundred.

Alexander was put into an orhpanage with other four kids like him and some others. Five kids in each room, ten rooms per floor and two floors, separated by age.

There was a teacher, a caretaker, a doctor and a nurse, a cook and a few more members of staff.

Every bulding was carved into the rock and because of the year long winter outside, it was often very cold. Everyone was always dressed in thick coats, gloves and scarfs, noses and ears red.

Alexander, who could control fire amongst other elements, could warm up his body enough so that he radiated heath.

On particiularly cold nights when even the fireplace and layers of thick blankets weren't enough, all five of them would huddle up in one bed with Alexander providing warmth for all of them.

As years went by, however, five teenagers could harly fit on one bed. Luckily, some of them found their own ways to warm up.

Darius was a shifter and his blood flow got faster as he got older, making him warm enough to withstand the cold. Allyn, who was one of the Fair folk, found that some specific kinds od plants make them warm and they would wrap themselves in them like an extra blanket.

The other two however, Hadrian and Amaris, who were a ghost and a vampire, were always cold. Even when the room was warm the two would be trembling.

To keep them from freezing to death, Alexander shared the bed with Hadrian and Darius shared his with Amaris.

At first they were all just friends, but eventually feelings started to appear. It caused a mess and now, they are all sitting in the dining hall, avoiding eye contact and staring at their dinner.

"You know what, I'm sick of witnessing all this, you all like the other three right? Just be like that, four people in a relationship, kind of." Allyn said, finally breaking the silence  at their table.

The other four just looked at them and then each others, feeling kind of dumb for not thinking of that earlier.

"So...we are doing this?" Hadrian asked, sounding hopeful, his ghostly form glitched a few times.

"Well, we can try. We can figure it out along the way." Amaris said and smiled. She was always the voice of reason not just among the five of them but among all of the other kids in the orphanage. Then she yawned, as she was also the one person who always wanted to sleep.

Alexander and Darius exchanged a look and all of them smiled. Allyn looked at their friends with pride and then added "If you guys start fucking I'm so calling miss Ayana though."

Everyone laughed at the thought, since miss Ayana, the caretaker, wouldn't exactly be the type of person to call to punish somebody, the role would be more fitting for miss Hirano, their teacher.

That night they pulled three beds together. Allyn didn't have any feelings for the others, in fact they never had romantic feelings for anyone, but they liked being close to their friends.

Allyn was on one of the beds, wrapped up in their vines, and the other four squeezed on the other two. With Alexander and Darius on the sides to keep the other two warm.

Sleep came easy to them that night. Safe and sound, deep beneath the castle. They were all promised a life with no fear, and they got exactly that. Other then fear of their teacher that is, she can be harsh at times. The king, the man who saved them all, came by often. Sometimes it was to disscus important matters with the staff, and other times it was just to see how the kids were doing.

The five knew they were different, that their abilities were far stronger then those of others their age, and once they asked, they were given an explanation. They were offered thraining to keep their powers in check and they accepted it. It wasn't anything other then that, just enough to help them control their power, and they could continue as long as they wanted. Nothing was expected of them, no form of repaying the king's kindness or requests to serve him in return for saving them. They were left to be kids, teenagers. They were left to be happy.

And happy they were. In that cold underground building, in their own small room with the only light coming from the fireplace. They were happy because they found friends, new family and even love there.

In the dark of the night, as the fire slowly died out and a new layer of snow was falling far above their heads, there slept five special teenagers. No worries troubled their minds other then what they will be served for breakfast tomorrow, no fears in them other then those of the upcoming potions exam. Some might call it boring, but for someone who used to be hunted down for possesing something they didn't ask for, it was heaven.

Gently hugging and cuddling, they drifted into the land of  dreams, fiercely protected by the dragon above the ground. It was seated on a tower just above the orphanage, and it was there with one goal, to strike down and scorch anything or anyone who could pose danger to those below  the surface and to that inside the castle.

Within the tower it was seated on, a king sat on his throne, his crown crooked on his head, his eyes closed. He has fallen asleep from exhaustion after not letting himself rest for days on end. In the same room was another man, in a casket of black glass, looking as if he was asleep as well, but it was merely a body without a soul.

Sleep has taken over everyone on the island, everyone save the dragon, who's watchful eyes scanned the sky and the land all night long.