Chapter 2

The next morning I wake up to hear Dad knocking on my door.

"Wake up Blitz! Dendo city awaits!" He calls happily, "Are you awake?"

I make an animal-like grunting noise and my dad counts that as a yes.

"Get up and ready! The bus will be here in twenty minutes." I hear his feet walking down the hall and away from my room. I just lay there for a minute, trying to gather my thoughts.

Dendo....bus....twenty minutes.....TWENTY MINUTES! I sit bolt upright and almost fall off the bed. I stumble off the warm mattress and it feels like abandoning a warm house in the arctic. I shiver as my feet touch the ground and massage my eyes with my hands.

"Come on Blitz. Wake up!" I whisper to myself.

It doesn't work.

I stumble over to my closet and pull off the clothes I slept in yesterday.

Which outfit would make a good first impression? I decide on a yellow tank top and short jeans that smell like dirt. I throw the clothes on sleepily and walk over to my mirror. For a couple minutes I stare groggily at myself in the glass before snapping out of my sleepy stupor and grabbing my comb. I pull the brush through my hair a couple times before deeming it good enough and slumping out of my room, and into our bathroom, yawning. I brush my teeth and get ready before trudging down the stairs to see my dad standing at the bottom, waiting, completely ready.

"I made eggs!" He says happily, holding a plate. I grin slightly and collapse into my seat, yawning. Last night had been pretty restless for me. I stayed up for a long time, worrying, before falling asleep, but whenever I did I'd wake up a half hour later, sweating and panicking from a nightmare.

Dad sets the plate with the eggs and toast in front of me and I slowly start to eat.

Dad laughs and kisses me on the cheek, "You are not a morning person!" He states.

No duh.

I eat and Dad asks me to stand up. I do and he looks me up and down, rubbing his chin with his hand.

"Hmm...." He says.

I stand there for another couple minutes impatiently my dad watching me.

"Ugh! What?" I exclaim, throwing my hands up in the air.

My dad grins and chuckles, "Remember, Blitz, patience is a virtue. Anyway, I was just thinking about how much you look like your mother."

I frown and cross my arms, memories of my mom rushing to my head, "I don't want to look like her. She left us, remember?"

My dad nods his head, sighing sadly, a depressed look coming over to him. I walk over and hug him. I don't want to leave him. And it's not entirely selfish either. I don't want to leave him because I'm all he's got left and he's all I got left.

He's scarred to, just better at hiding it, but sometimes when I walk past his bedroom at night, I can hear him crying or whispering things into the dark. He thinks he's alone. I try to chase away his loneliness, but it's hard to when the loneliness is after me too.

My dad hugs me back. We stay there for a moment and I cherish it, but this time I'm the one to move away and the one to kiss him on his cheek. He smiles at me and loses his depressed expression as I look at the clock on the wall over his shoulder.

"When exactly is the bus getting here?" I ask him. It's 6:49.

My dad turns around and squints at the clock for a minute before jumping, "We have to be at the station by seven!" He yelps as he rushes to the door.