Chapter 8

The next morning when I go to the elevator to go downstairs, there is a boy in the metal contraption when the doors slide open. He has floppy blue hair and big blue eyes, his swirling blue and green Shinju attached to a silver bracelet on his right arm. He is wearing a normal blue t-shirt and ripped jeans. A water elementalist.

The boy sees me coming and his face lights up. I step inside with him and the doors slide shut after he presses a button that says 'cafeteria'.

He beams at me and shakes my hand, "Hi! My name is Nero and I am from Mizu City! You must be from Dendo! Nice to meet you!" He says happily, shaking my hand vigorously.

"Umm....hi." I say, startled. "Erm...do you know a girl named Espurna?"

Nero frowns in concentration as he lets go of my hand, "I don't think- oh! Purna! Yeah I know her, I used to go to school with her!" He suddenly gets excited, "Hey! Have you ever seen anything this cool?!?" He points his pointer finger up and a small bubble of water appears above it. He twirls his finger around and the water turns into a small stream, swirling around his finger.

I watch in amazement as Nero's eyes sparkle, "And this is the best part!" His finger stops twirling and the water moves up until it is above his finger in a straight line like a pole made of water. Slowly, the water changes shape into a tiny dog.

My mouth falls open. The dog's mouth moves like he's barking and then it runs toward me through the air, incredibly life-like.

"My aunt used to have a dog like this." Nero says, "She was the one who helped me make him." He makes the dog run through the air until he is inches from his mouth and....eats it.

He licks his lip, "I've been thirsty all morning!" I laugh a little and Nero beams at me.

"Hey..." I start, but before I can finish, the doors open and we step out. I look around. The walls are metal and all the chairs and seats are as well. There are seven tables and each one is a different color. Brown, yellow, orange, blue, light blue, white, and a table that is just metal. Kejut waves at me from the yellow table and Nero starts walking over to the blue one. I sigh and sit down at the yellow one.

"They are going to pass out food once everyone is here!" Kejut informs me as I sit down.

"They sure are taking their time..." Pointy Nose mutters. As if on cue, a woman appears carrying a tray with bagels.

"Hello!" She says politely, setting the bagels and juice onto the table. Pointy Nose digs ravenously into his food and everyone takes his lead.

"So!" Kejut says through a mouthful of food to no one in particular, "The rooms are great, huh?"

My attention wanders as Kejut begins a conversation about our new rooms and I look around to see what everyone else is doing. The people at the light blue table, the wind elementalists, are eating, but one boy is just reading. He has thick-framed glasses and freckles, his bagel's untouched in front of him. I watch him for a couple minutes before a ruckus over at the metal table draw's my attention. One boy is warping the white table, the ice elementalist's table, so that a girl with long white hair can't get her bagel. She reaches out to pick it up when the table suddenly moves to the left, bringing her bagel with it. After a couple futile attempts, the girl starts to get watery-eyed and runs out of the room.

The boy starts to laugh and a couple others do too, and I feel bad for the girl. Apparently, so does a metal elemenentslist. A girl with silver hair that splits above her right ear so the rest of her hair falls over her face walks up to the boy and shouts something at him. He looks at the ground, his face red and the girl nods before sitting down. I giggle and somehow the girl hears me. She winks at me and I hastily look away. After I check to make sure the metal girl stopped looking at me, I turn to look for Nero. He is sitting at the blue table, goofing around and making the other water elementalists laugh. A couple girls look at him adoringly.