Chapter 3

The next two days go basically the same way. In the morning a woman by and gives us breakfast. Me and Purna talk. The woman returns with lunch. I show Purna the things in my bag and she does the same. The woman comes with dinner, and we talk until we fall asleep.

I have learned that the water elementalists actually move the water away from their faces so they swim underwater with their faces in a little bubble. I also learned that their city is surrounded by a giant bubble of air so they don't swim everywhere and that Purna's full name is Espurna Ivy.

The third day on the bus, we get to Dendo City.

"WE WILL ARRIVE IN DENDO CITY IN FIVE MINUTES! GET YOUR THINGS PACKED!" Someone shouts from the front of the bus. I look at Purna. We had just been talking about her dolphin necklace, which she said her family gave to her as a goodbye gift, but we have been packed for an hour. We rush to the window to catch a glimpse of the lightning elementalist's home and I gasp.

There are rows and rows of shiny metal houses, the streets crowded with people who have bright yellow hair. I see a family in a hover-car run purely on electricity pass by, and even a kid with a hover board. I forgot about all the cool things that only the lightning elementalists can use!

I stare in wonder. Because the hover boards and hover-cars use electricity, the lightning elementalists use their own power. Of course, other elementalists can use them, but it's very rare.

"Look Blitz!" Purna cries as a girl Darts. I gasp as she runs at the speed of lightning across the street.

"Wow..." Purna whispers, at lost for words. I just nod.

An hour later we're being pushed down the hall by all sorts of kids. Some of them look timid (probably transfers) and others just look relieved.

Purna turns to me, gesturing to her yellow sweater, "I wish we could wear something other than yellow, like pink! You can't go wrong with pink."

I sigh as we walk down the steps, "Purna, you know it's to show we're lightning elementalists."

She's been complaining all day.

She pouts slightly, "Yeah, well, why can't we control something pink, like...." She thinks for a minute. Suddenly, she brightens, "Like cotton candy! That would help everybody!"

I face-palm.

We follow the crowd of people until we get to a tall building. A man with ripped jeans and a casual smile steps up and shouts over all the quiet chattering, "TRANSFERS FOLLOW ME!"

He turns around and walks into the building. Me and Purna glance at each other before hoisting our bags more securely over our shoulders and following. Inside the building, there are a set of stairs leading somewhere and an elevator. Surrounding the room is a cluster of couches, beanbags, chairs, and I even see a couple recliners. I look over to my left and see a woman with her Shinju attached to a necklace sitting at a desk, typing on a computer.

Everything but the walls are a shiny metal. The desks, the doors, and the windows, even the doorknobs look like shiny new buttons.

"These people must love the beetles." I mutter to Purna. 'Beetle' is what all the other elementalists call the metal ones.

"Yeah." Purna replies, but before she can say anything else, the man who led us here clears his throat and everyone quiets.

He smiles, "Welcome to the Transfer Building! This is where you will be staying until we find you each a job, where you will earn money to buy a house." He says. "If you will all get comfortable and wait for your name to be called, someone will show you where you will stay. Once you find your way to your room, I would suggest you just stay there and unpack for the rest of the day. I'm sure your tired and must be hungry. Someone will bring your food later."