Past or Present

Saint Joseph's Academy.

It was one of the most prestigious academies in the city. It offered high-quality education, and the staff had to undergo strict screening before they could be accepted to teach there; and once you're hired, you're immediately offered a good pay.

Erwin Smith was one of the few teachers who had smooth sailing throughout the entire job interview. In fact, they said the head of the school and the HR department who had been present at his interview took one look at him and decided they wanted him in the job ASAP.

Ever since then, Erwin had maintained a clean reputation throughout the seven years he'd been working in the academy. He had a record of never raising his voice during class, not even during times when the students got rowdier than usual, because all it took for him to take back his control was a raised hand and a firm look. He was also never quick to shut down questions from his students, no matter how nonsensical it seemed, and even the students who did not perform as well as others in other subjects always had good grades in his, thereby proving that there was no such thing as a difficult subject, but students just needed a good teacher. He was absolutely perfect in the eyes of everyone, inside the classroom and in the faculty office, and both students and teachers respected him equally.

Erwin particularly enjoyed teaching—but as his godforsaken fate would have it, the gods decided to test him today.

Earlier this day, about an hour before first period, the high school department where Erwin was assigned to had received a late notice for a teacher's meeting. In a matter of minutes, the department had gathered in the conference hall located in the Administration's building.

Erwin sat near the end of the table, glancing at the wall clock. Adrian, who was sitting to his right, had begged him to switch seats because he'd been right in the line of the air conditioners and he 'didn't want to freeze to death'.

"Why do you think they called a teacher's meeting on such a short notice?" Adrian whispered impatiently, sending looks towards the door and expecting the head of the department to enter any moment now. He still had to prepare his materials for first period, especially since he'd arrived later than his usual clock in time.

"I'm just as curious as you," Erwin said in response. Adrian turned to him with scrunched nose. Of course Erwin wouldn't have any problem with the short notice—he was an early bird and always arrived at school at 6 AM sharp most of the time, and he always had his instructional materials readied the day prior, so he didn't have to rush at the last minute.

Erwin Smith, textbook definition of the most responsible, time-efficient teacher in adult society.

"Where did you go yesterday, anyway? Was unusual for you to leave so early," Adrian decided to ask. He caught the way Erwin subtly stiffened, but relaxed after a split-second. It happened so fast he almost missed it.

"I had urgent business to tend to," he answered, curt and vague. Adrian didn't bother to prod. Even in the past life, Erwin was never that talkative—unless he was enthusiastically explaining to them his theory of human civilization beyond the walls, as well as the essence of the Survey Corps in furthering human territory and exploration all during breakfast in the mess hall. If Adrian recalled, it was about the rare occasions where Erwin had worn a bright gleam in his eyes.

The doors slid open, catching the attention of the teachers who were already seated around the table. Adrian looked over and saw the head of the high school department walk in, followed by an unfamiliar man with blond hair and glasses.

Adrian heard Erwin suck in an abrupt inhale.

"Good morning, I'm sorry to call you all in in the midst of your busy morning schedules," the head of their department greeted with a smile as he stood at the front of the table. He gestured for the blond beside him, who took a step.