Her Peace

The sight of Erwin Smith participating in the last relay race was a sight to see for the students.

Naturally, those who'd been under him for a long time couldn't miss the chance, so as the news spread around the campus that their history teacher was finally playing in this year's Intramurals, a lot of students flocked over at the field.

"Is it true? We get to see Mr. Smith run for the first time?" student number one piped up, excitement glinting in his eyes.

"I heard the new P.E. teacher challenged him or something, how true is it?" student number two asked.

"But I heard it was because class 4-6 was lacking participants?" student number three said.

All in all, it was a mixture of surprise and anticipation.

Meanwhile, up on the bleachers, Hange was busy squinting her eyes, looking for a certain someone.

"Holy mother of titans—is that Erwin on the field I'm seeing right now?" Hange cried in surprise. She got so excited that she grabbed Levi (who was quietly sitting beside her and minding his own business) and began shaking him by the collar so hard that he started seeing stars.

Levi slapped her hands away with a sharp 'Don't touch me'.

"But it's Erwin, Levi!" Hange exclaimed, adjusting her glasses. "Our Erwin! Walls, I don't remember seeing him run in the past—I don't even recall seeing him kill titans after he became a commander; dude's always been just giving out orders! This is history as we speak! Oh—where's my phone—I gotta record this!"

Her voice got exceedingly raucous that the others who were seated near them were starting to give them weird looks.

Levi clicked his tongue. "Don't blab in public, you moron. If you're going to be embarrassing, don't do it when you're with me."

His words slipped through Hange's ear and out the next. She already had her smartphone whipped out, her camera application already running.

She was definitely sending this to their group chat. Too bad Mike couldn't see this historical moment live. Hange was certain that had he been here, he would have shared her enthusiasm, unlike Levi.

No doubt Zeke provoked him or something, Hange thought. The only person she knew who was capable of getting under the Erwin Smith's skin was none other than Zeke Yeager.

She zoomed the camera on Erwin's figure. He had a blue band tied around his forehead, the ends of the cloth hanging behind his back, dancing with the afternoon breeze. Like the other participants, he was in the middle of stretching.

He looks pissed.

Hange pressed her lips together. She didn't know whether she should laugh or be worried.

Imagine seeing your former commander who used to lead battles against titans, now about to run a lap around a field full of screaming high school students.

An idea struck her. Hange turned to Levi excitedly.

"Levi! When the race starts, let's cheer for Erwin and yell shinzo—"

"No."

"You didn't even let me fini—"

"Whatever the hell it is, I'm saying no," Levi grunted, eyes fixed on the field below and arms crossed. Instincts were telling him Hange was up to no good. As per usual.

This is why you're still single. Hange pouted. Classic Levi, always a killjoy.

But no matter.

"Woo! Go, commander!" Hange cheered with her free hand balled in a fist, thrusted upwards. A few heads turned, confused eyes thrown towards her.