The raging surface above the waters

The moon glowed brightly high up, the serenity of the night sky serving as a complementary backdrop. A chilling evening breeze swept the rooftop, tousling their hair. For the amount of urgency, haste and gravity in their line of work, the tranquility of the evening was always a welcoming change of scenery for soldiers like them.

"How do you always manage to say the right things at the right time? Are you a therapist or something?"

The blond sitting beside her had a smile tugging the end of his lips. They were sitting at the edge of the rooftop, legs dangling over, clad in casual clothing instead of the usual gear they wore.

"Nope. I just.. just try to see things in the perspective of others and make an effort to understand them. It's amazing how much unnecessary drama can be avoided by doing that."

She didn't understand how he could stay so kind even in their world. For as long as she remembered, he was always the most selfless man she's ever known.

"But isn't that tiring? Always thinking about the person? What about yourself?"

Beneath the moonlight skies, he turned to her with a soft smile. He patted her head, and for a big guy with big, calloused hands, the gesture was surprisingly gentle.

"I'm fine. Sometimes, there are others who need my understanding more than myself."

The low buzz of conversations occupied the space of the bar. Minimal lights brightened the place, patrons floated between tables, some throwing darts at the corner and some playing pool. Majority were college students trying to release some of that pent-up stress, one Erwin could sympathize with. He sat by the counter on one of the bar stools, nursing a light drink in his hand.

"—win. Oi, Erwin."

Blinking out of his thoughts, the said blond turned to his side to see Levi staring at him, looking irritated.

"Get your ears cleaned, would you?" He clicked his tongue. "And every time I see you, you always look so constipated, it's getting annoying. Go take a change of scenery and get laid or something."

Erwin coughed. Loudly.

"What? Or is it just Isanna you want to fuc—"

"Levi," Erwin emphasized, trying to compose himself. Always one to not sugarcoat his tongue. He gave him a stern look. "Language."

"Leave him be, Levi," Mike added from Levi's other side. The said blond was focused on his own glass. "He already has enough on his plate."

Erwin gave Mike a grateful nod, to which Levi only snorted.

"'Language', my ass. We all know you're losing your grip because Isanna is out there getting fucked by another man while you're—"

"Levi," Erwin warned, this time with a lower tone, "Enough."

Mike quickly elbowed Levi, and surprisingly, he stayed quiet this time, albeit he had to roll his eyes.

Erwin didn't even want to think about it, but of course Levi just had to go and mention it. Word for word, to boot. As if he needed any visualization of the idea of Isanna and Zeke—

Oh.

His temper suddenly flared.

"Great, just great—look at what you did," Mike hissed to Levi, gesturing to Erwin as the latter snapped out of his thoughts and turned to his friends. "If he starts exploding here in public I'm going to pretend I don't know any of you."