Chapter Eleven

Max was staring wide-eyed at Allison the whole time, trying to piece together how the middle-aged woman was here. Therefore he did not see her use her powers.

You as the reader, however, might want to know how these strange Orbs of Life and Death worked.

Life draws on your life force and gices it to others. As a general rule, you can only have a set amount of lifeforce that keeps you in your regular state. Increase the life force of any given person and they will heal any wounds, and if there if enough, strengthen and invigorate them.

Death goes in the opposite direction. You can draw on the life force of those around you. You are also healed and energized.

For Death Orbs, there is a price for the selfishness. Once the extra lifeforce runs out, the user is left in a state of weakness and nausea, as if they were drunk.

A very gifted healer can store his or her life force and thus have more collectively than he or she would normally be permitted.

A powerful 'thief,' as they are called, can draw from the very trees.

Allison (and consequently Sapphire, while we are on the subject) had had no formal training and therefore could not do either of these things.

After Allison healed him, Shanira hurried him away to bed, sending a servant to bring him some food. She led him to the northern tower, where his room was located. He walked along, brow furrowed. How was Ally here? Didn't Frau Glass say she was far away? Then again, she also said they were looking for her, so maybe they found her and brought her here to keep her safe.

Satisfied, Max nodded and smiled as they approached the door. The handle turned silently and Max was ushered in. Food was alreay waiting for him on the bedside table.

The room wasn't much fancier than a servant's room, bu tto Max it was the biggest room he had ever had, and it was all his. Back at home, he and Sean had slept in the same room, with their parents in the other. The bed here was soft and had a decent, 2 year old mattress. The pillow was stuffed with down and the quilt was thick.

Shanira sat Max down and told him to eat the food, explaining his strength would be gone.

Max vaguely heard her and took a few bites before his eyelids started to droop. He flopped back on the bed and fell asleep, submitting to the grayish haze.

Shanira stood and brushed herself off, lips pursed as she examined the boy.

'Luckily,' she thought, 'he could probably still be manipulated to our army. Maybe Ty's training will help as well...'

Max slept well that night.