Chapter Fourteen

I know I normally alternate Max and Sean chapters, but nothing is really going on with them. They're training (well, Sean is; Sapphire doesn't want to know how to use her powers...) and nothing else is really happening, so here's a few more Max chapters until... the end.

After the 10th hour lesson, Max took a short nap, knowing he would be worked hard come 1st hour. Lunch came and went, and with it, Max's confidence. The exercise from yesterday, and his apparent lack of progress left him dreading the next 'defense' class with Ty Croman.

Speaking of which, Max had no defense training in sight. How drawing the water out could help him defend himself and others flabbergasted him.

Still, when 1st hour rolled around, he made his way through the fortress to the designated room dragging his feet, wishing he hadn't signed up for it.

He silently entered the room behind Croman, usually excited and curious eyes wide and downcast. He sat down in a chair and waited.

After the first few minutes of silence, he finally looked up, confused.

Ty was sitting on the edge of the table and examining his nails with a scowl on his face. He glanced up at Max and got off the desk.

"Finally, are you ready to stop moping and get to work."

Max blinked, then jumped up and stammered, "Eh, y-yes sir."

Ty rolled his eyes and moved to stand behind the table. "Great," he said sarcastically, "now lets begin."

He reached down into a bucket at his feet and shlopped a soaked rag on the table.

Max took a deep breath and reached into the recesses of his mind to find the perfect sphere of potential power residing within him. He dipped into that power now, feeling the calm and joy wash over him. He extended a hand to point at the rag as Ty was watching on, unimpressed.

Inhaling deeply, Max did his best to purge the rag of all water, keeping his eyes closed and concentrating solely on that (which was impressive considering he's a six year old kid).

He formed the drawn out water into a ball and cracked an eye open so he could follow its path back to the bucket. After it landed safely, he released the breath he had been holding and turned back to Ty, who was checking his watch and nodding.

The table no longer had a rag on it.

Max ran up to the desk to stare in shock at the ashes that had replaced the cloth. He looked up at Croman, eyes still saucers.

"Well," said Ty, "ten minutes in and we have already completed the task." He looked up. "Well done, Junge."Boy.

Max bobbed his head a bit, still bewildered, but Majestät Croman left him no time to wonder.

"Guess we can move on to stage two."

Max simply stared.

Ty flicked out a finger and a small flame came out of it, flickering a bit before steadying. He turned back to Max.

"Use the water to block my flames."

Max hurriedly and clumsily pulled water from the bucket, losing a few drops. He created a shield in front of him just before Croman launched his attack.

The flames started out slowly, then gradually grew in size, causing the water to start sizzling and hissing.

Max could only watch and feel in horror as his water supply dwindled as more and more went to that particular spot. If he tried to concentrate all the water in that spot, the flames fanned out and went around.

Finally, the shield grew holes as it thinned to the point of being see through. Max tried to keep the flames at bay, even putting up his other hand in an attempt to stem the fire, but it kept eating away, never seeming to end.

Max knew he had only seconds, but also knew he could not prevent the flames from coming any closer. Finally he closed his eyes and let out a cry, waiting for the pain to come.

Suddenly, the whooshing stopped.

Max hesitantly opened one eye to see a surprised look of Ty's face. He straighten up uncertainly and looked around, then finally back at Ty.

"Wh...what...happened?"

Ty smirked a bit, surprise never quite leaving his face.

"You have control over fire as well, it would seem."

Max stared.

Ty shrugged. "I did not stop the flames because you almost got hurt, I stopped them because I felt another force being exerted on them."

He cocked his head. "In fact, I saw you gain control of my fire for half a second to divert it."

He rushed over to Max and crouched down, putting his hands on his shoulders and staring intensely into the youngster's eyes.

"Did you burn your hand?"

Max blinked, surprised. "Yeah, when the house burned down I fell and burned my hand." Suddenly, realization dawned on his face. "You think I could have actually have gotten a fire orb?"

Ty grinned like a crazy person. "I can guarantee it. That would also explain why you have fantastic control, as water and fire balance each other out."

He stood up and walked away, then whirled around.

"What say you you only train with me from now on, at 9, 1, and 4? One hour periods, yes, but enough to get better training in. If you wanted, you could still train with your tutor..." He trailed off after seeing Max's face and laughed.

"Still, 9, 1, and 4?"

Max considered it a bit, then nodded and grinned, eager to learn to control his new powers.

Ty smiled a real smile and checked his watch.

"Ohp, it's time to head out. I'll inform your tutor of the change."

Max nodded and started to leave.

"Goodbye Max," he said warmly, "see you tomorrow."

So, I don't know if I should keep posting this story, because most people just want Sonope, but if you guys want to keep reading this, let me know in the comments. Vote if you want, it's kinda encouraging :P