Chapter Eighteen

Sorry it's been awhile!  School has been killer...but, here's a chapter! This book is starting to wrap up...perhaps I'll combine it with the second one.  I always sucked at writing filler, even though it's often kinda important.  

Ah well.  Hope you enjoy!

"Max! You're, you're alive! And OK!  Did they hurt you?"

Sean's words tumbled out of his mouth and he rushed towards his brother to hug him.  Max shifted out of his grip and looked up, uncertainty on his face.  He shook his head and turned to face Sapphire.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Sapphire shook herself of her shock.  "We came to get you and Allison.  Didn't expect to find you so quickly though..." She lit up.  "Speaking of which, is she here?"

He slowly nodded and started unnoticeably backing away.

"I'm so glad you're OK, Max!" Sean gushed.  "I can't begin to imagine what they must have done to you, but you're in one piece and we can go home as soon as we get Allison as well!"

Max glanced back at him on the word home.

"Is it...is it true?"

Both of the older people looked at each other in confusion.

"Is what true?"

"Did you...are you the reason mom and dad aren't here anymore?"

Sean nearly choked.  "W-what?"

"Are you the reason we had to go live with Ally and Sapph?  Was it your fault?"

"I-"

"It was, wasn't it?  I didn't want to believe them, even after they were really nice and took care of me.  I thought that there was no way you could do that.  You were always there for me.  But then I kept thinking and thinking...and I couldn't see any other way that it could have happened..."

He sniffed and shifted his feet.  "My memory is not all that good, but I remember you were angry and you made mom cry..."

Sean gulped and reached out a hand to his brother.  "I didn't mean for them to, to di-"

"So you did!"  Max's gaze was hot and the cool night air rose a few degrees.  He cast his dark gaze down and got quieter.  "You killed them."

"...I did."

Max wiped his eyes and looked up with sadness.  "Are you sorry?"

Sean's breath hitched.  "How could I not be?"

Max's eyes crinkled.  "Then so am I." 

"What do you-"

He took a deep breath and with all his might yelled, "Eindringling!" Intruder!

The cry rang through the night for mere moments before it was taken up by the guards and an alarm sounded.  Lights shot on and there was a great clamor coming from the castle.

Sapphire bellowed, "Max, why did you do that?!"

He was crying now.  "I'm sorry!"

"If you were really sorry, you wouldn't have done it in the first place!"

Sean heard none of this.  He was frozen solid, staring at his brother with his mouth open, unable to fully comprehend what had just happened.

"I'm sorry!" Max yelled one last time before running in the direction of the castle.

Sapphire started to run after him, but turned back when she realized Sean had not moved.  She shook him out of his stupor.

"Get a grip, Jackson!  He's been corrupted, but there's still a chance to save Allison and possibly take him with us.  I'm sorry to say it, but it sounds like he only has a beef with you, so he might listen to us women folk, but that won't happen if we can't find her, so let's get a move on before we are captured and killed!"

He shook his head clear.  "Uh, right.  Allison.  Let's get a move on. OK.  Right."

She shook her head and took off, this time with Sean close behind.

"Prep some lightning!  I hear guards around the corner!"

And so, they rushed into the fray.

-;-;-;-;-;-;;-;-;-;-;-;-

Max ran straight for Glass and Croman, tears streaking behind him.

'I had to...Sean is a bad guy now!'  These thoughts did not comfort him, though.

"Max!"

He looked up to she Glass walking towards him. "You sounded the alarm! What happened? Did you recognize the intruder?"

He nodded.  "Sean."

Her eyes lit up.  "And Sapphire Hindburg?  Was she here as well?"

He nodded solemnly.

She smiled warmly.  "You did the right thing, Max.  I'm proud of you.  Now, go into the castle where you'll be safe from these nasty Übeltäter." Evil doers.

He sniffed and continued running.

"Oh, and if you see Majestät Croman, send him outside!"

She cracked her knuckles as a crow with a scar under one of its intelligent eyes lighted in her shoulder.  

"It's time to wipe out these rebels once and for all."

Dun dun dun. Hint, at least one person is going to die before the end of the German arc. Just a heads up. Don't get too attached to anyone guys...

Unless I'm pulling your leg. 

;)

Anyway, hope you liked the chapter. Might do another one later today.