Of Course Not

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

I looked at my reflection in my dirty mirror that's attached to the door of my bedroom. My long grown out dyed blonde hair, looked like a balayage at this stage. And my fringe was a wee bit overgrown, not to the point where it looked bad, but grown out enough to be annoying. My dark green eyes stared back at me curiously, making my naturally pale pink lips form a frown. My rosy cheeks peaked out through where I tried to hide them with some concealer. I didn't even bother looking down from my face in the mirror because I knew I'd not be satisfied with what I saw if I saw my body.

I got the a lift to school with my da because he was going for the 'big shop' today..even though I was meant to do it.

"I support gays, even though I, myself, am not gay!" I heard James chant, the second I got out of the car. He was handing out the news papers along with the rest of their group aside from Clare who stood there looking sad..I don't blame her. I passed James on my walk to Clare and by 'accident' shouldered him. I really did expect him to be one of the good ones.

"Hi, Clare. You'll never guess what-" I said reaching her to start telling her about my new book I just finish, Little Women, but was cut off by Erin. "Come on Clare." Erin complained, then looked over at me and began begging for me then. "We don't want to get involved, sorry." Clare spoke for me grabbing my hand and walking away with me while Erin shouted at us "cowards!"

"I'm going to tell Erin." Clare whispers to me when we were walking to our lockers. "If you feel like it's the right time, then do girl" I encouraged, looking through my locker for my geography textbook.  And with that, she strutted away to find Erin.

James then came over to the lockers, while I was still looking for my Geography textbook, but now I was extremely pissed because it seemed to have disappeared. "Hi James" I smiled up at him as he fiddled with the combination lock on his locker. "Oh, hi Cara" he looked down at me, to where I was kneeling on the floor because I had the stupid bottom locker.

I looked back up at him after finally finding my geography book, when I found my Geography book, only to notice him staring at me with a gorgeous smirk on his face.

"What you thinkin' about, James?"  I inquired, matching his smirk.

"Oh, you...No..nothing. I mean,...yeah, nothing." James fumbled over his words in his English accent I've grew oh so fond of over the last 24 hours.

"Did you say you were thinking about me James?" I called him out slyly, hoping that I actually heard him right.

"No, of course not!"  He said shaking his head as I stood up but still at least 5 inches smaller than him. I suddenly felt stupid for telling myself  I heard that.

"Why, 'of course not' James? Is it cause your English and think you're oh, so much better than the poor Irish? " I asked tilting my head up at him and narrowing my eyes at him getting defensive . "No, no..just....you know..."  he tried to explain but couldn't come up with the words. Probably didn't want to be mean to me or some shit.

I've never really had a proper thing with a boy before. Sure, I've kissed a few and I dated one when was 12, and 'had a thing' with a few, but I've never actually had something that meant something.  So yeah, I was a bit curious why a boy 'of course' wouldn't think of me.

But I was pulled out of my thoughts when a fuming Claire dragged me to the bathroom. She told me how Erin told her to go back into the closet and how disgusted she was of her. Erin even thought Claire liked her!  And honestly, I try not to be a violent person but I've never wanted to punch Erin so bad. How could someone even say that?

Claire and I spent the whole day ignoring Erin. Apparently she told Michelle and James as-well, judging by the looks they were giving us all day.

Claire and I went a whole different route on the way home and I invited her over to my house to cheer her up. We baked cookies and ate half of them as I forced her to sing along to  'The Sound Of Music' with me as we watched it.

The lads came home later and introduced themselves to Claire and they seemed to get on really well.

Overall I think I did a good job at cheering her up,  she left my small crowded house that day with a smile and a bag of cookies.