Misss De Brún

Confused. Confused is the word I would tell you if you asked how my family is doing since Conor got put in jail. He always was up before everyone, always the one who made sure I got to school, always the one who Da never had to worry about. It's been 2 days and we've all been all over the place, Kate had to get back to college so now the only siblings I have left are the immature ones.

Da hasn't talked about it at all. We've had 2 dinners of chippy which now only tastes of grease because Conor used to always make dinner's that could be served in a 5 star restaurant.

"How do you get someone out of jail?" I asked my brothers as they walked me to the bus stop. Erin, Orla, James, Claire and Michelle all live close to each-other so they walk together. While, I live in the other Catholic estate, so I walk with me brothers.

"I think, they normally ring us and ask us to pay bail.  But sure, our systems fucked." Oisin explained, from my right side. "Aye, and we wouldn't have enough money to pay for bail"  Paul chirped up from my left side. "Fucking internment" I mumbled, kicking a stray stone that was laying lonely on the footpath. First, me ma gets killed for protesting against internment, then, Conor gets put in jail by internment. It's a right pain.

When we got to the bus stop, there was no one there. Which was weird, because normally there's at least 5 people there. Then, we all seemed to release at the same time. I missed my bus. "Feck sake!" I exclaimed, throwing my head back.

Normally, when I missed my bus before. Conor would drop me to school because he can drive. Even if Kate was here she could drop me. And I cant ask my dad, he's working. I'm truly fucked.

"Looks like your gonna have to walk to school, Cara" Oisin said, as he started walking again to get to his bus in-time.

So, that's what I did. I walked all the 4km with no stops and jogging for some parts. I wish I had to watch to check what time it was or how last I was. But no, I don't even have a fecking watch. I arrived at the school at 9:02, which meant they were just ending assembly, thank god. I quietly shuffled to my locker trying to make as little noise in the abandoned corridors as possible.

But I ran into someone. I silently cursed under my breath, before looking up to see..a biker girl? She wore big eyeliner that was sort of smudged and leather motorcycle gear with a helmet in her hand and messy hair going everywhere. "Uh..sorry, there" I said, fixing my skirt awkwardly. "You're late for assembly?" she said curiously. "Aye, I missed my bus..and-and then I had to walk to school. I'm sorry...miss?" I stuttered, annoyed that I got caught and panting from the walk. "Miss de Brún."

With that, she walked off and I returned to getting my books for my locker and checking my time table. "Where were you?" Erin said, as her and my other friends came into the hall that was now full. "I missed my bus" I awkwardly explained, hoping they won't pester me about why I wasn't in school for a few days. "I mean, like, all week" Erin opened her locker aggressively, throwing books in her back. "Erin.." James quietly scolded her from beside Michelle, but sadly I don't think she heard. "Well?"

"Oh come off of it Erin! Cara has better things to be doing than hanging around Our Lady's" Michelle said, also putting her books aggressively in her bag.

We all made our way to our first class and sat in our assigned seats from the beginning of the year. James in-front of me, Michelle in-front of him, Erin beside Michelle and Clare beside Erin and Orla behind them. We were quite lucky to get good seats..well actually, Michelle got placed at the front from speaking out of turn but she made one of Jenny's minions swap with her. "Recon that she's ever going to show up?" James said, turning around to me with a smile. "Doubt it. She's always her before we start class." I leaned back in my chair, grateful for the free class. "Oh, Cara, we got a new-"