Chapter Three - Rose

After the discussion regarding the girls classes had been completed, they said their goodbyes to Aunt Beatrice, and a maid came in to show them to their room. Madeline and Margaret each grabbed their single travel-bag, and tentatively made their way to the maid who stood by the doorway.

One look at the gentle smile on the youthful maid caused any trepidation to leave them. A warmth began to arise from within Madeline, allowing her to place her fears and doubts to the side, and steadily join the maid at the door. Margaret followed closely behind.

"Good morning, misses. My name is Rose, and Ill be the one to take care of you. If you'll just follow me, I'll show you to your room." Rose's chatter further eased Madelines nerves, and once the girls stepped out into the hallway, Rose quieted down, though Madeline did hear her occasionally talking to herself.

Walking behind the maid, who hadn't felt the need to fill the air with small talk, Madeline allowed her mind to wander. Her mind went back to when Aunt Beatrice left the school just a few moments before. Once Aunt Beatrice had entered her carriage and the wheels began to turn, taking Aunt Beatrice farther and farther away, Madeline felt her shoulders drop as they released some of the tension she unknowingly had begun to hold onto.

Madeline could not wait to be in the confines of the room which was to house the lone survivors of the little family that once was. To throw herself onto her new bed and allow herself to fully feel the emotions flowing through her twelve-year-old body, and process those thoughts which would not cease to swirl in her mind. Madeline desired to have rest, though it was still before noon.

What will come of us?

Will our parents demise lead our own?

At the latter thought, she steeled up her resolve, and became determined to become the absolutely most magnificent Lady this school had produced. Though, that could wait until after she had time to spend her emotions. Madeline wanted to close her eyes and live in denial, even if only for a few moments, before facing the music that was bound to crescendo soon, if she did not take a moment to rest.

A few moments later, Rose moved to open the beautifully carved mahogany door, in front of which she had stopped, and then retreated to let the girls step into their new living quarters.

"Giving you a couple hours, misses, to put your things away, and rest. I'll come get you when lunch is ready to be served, to show you to the dining room. Don't want you to get lost in the halls. They can seem akin to a maze when youre unaccustomed to them." Rose picked up her welcoming chatter as she walked into the room and pulled back the curtains, causing a warm glow to be cast onto the furniture, as well as the maid who stood in front of the windows. Rose's tightly curled hair had been pulled back tightly and the majority of her hair sat in a bun under the maids cap. Rose then made her way back out to the hallway and curtsied to Madeline and Margaret, then turned on her heel and walked down the hallway and around a corner.

The girls glanced down the hallway through which Rose had just retreated, and then glanced at each other before taking in their new room. Madeline strove headlong into the room, while her sister stood at the door as she admired the precise intricacies decoratively carved into the center portion of the outer side of the door. Margaret saw the crest of the family that founded the school; a shield in the center, on which was a lion on the left, and an eagle on the right, with a fleur-de-lis in the center space below. The leftward looking profile of a knights helmet sat directly on top of the shield, a multitude of flourishes coming out from behind the helmet. Carved below the crest was the year of establishment, 1567. The school may have been around for quite some time, but they certainly took pride in their history; the school expertly maintained the building, renovating when necessary.