Chapter Seven - Picnic Shenanigans

July 09, 1796

The next few weeks passed in quick succession, each day blended into the next as everyone quickly fell into the routine at Kinsington. Madeline and Margaret enjoyed Mrs. DeVeaux's class, and eagerly listened to her every word, and taking in her every move. Madeline admired the young lady and wanted to be like her. Mrs. DeVeaux took a liking to the sisters, too.

Mrs. DeVeaux noticed their efforts in her class and admired their courage and tenacity regarding their life situations. She could not imagine being in their shoes at such a young age. Mrs. DeVeaux wanted to show the girls that they could trust her, so she began to sit near them at tea time and even enjoyed conversation with them from time to time.

Rose continued to mother the young girls every time she saw them. She clucked over their dresses, and fixed their hair for them if she had the time. Though the students were not given maids to help them dress, Rose took it upon herself to take good care of the Darbinshire girls.

Rose was with them now, helping them dress for the afternoon picnic. All three were overjoyed at the opportunity to be out of doors and enjoy the clear weather. Rose and four other maids were coming along to serve the tiny sandwiches and the many cheeses and crackers the kitchen had packed for the picnic. To help pass the time as they were getting ready, Rose filled Madeline and Margaret in on the latest gossip from the kitchen.

"Now, Misses, I have just heard word from a kitchen maid that the annual Autumn Ball has just been given a date. Dont let this get out just yet, but it will be held on the fifteenth of October, and from the amount of preparations the servants are having to do, it sounds like its going to be grand!" Rose's excitement spilled over; giggles followed her words and her smile looked as if it would split her face it was so wide. Rose's hands could hardly perform the small tasks of dressing the girls, they were trembling in excitement, that they had to help her hold their hair in place a few times.

The girls did not mind helping Rose, for her happiness was something they enjoyed greatly. Her happiness brought them happiness. Madeline held up her baby blue dress to her chest as she stood in front of the mirror and twisted from side to side, feeling the skirt of the dress swish as she moved. She thought the style of this dress made her appear a little older than her twelve years of age. Thinking of her age, Madeline realized that by the time the Autumn Ball came around, she and Margaret would have turned thirteen. This would be their first birthday without their parents.

Madeline's lips pressed into a thin line at the sad thought that entered her mind, but when she felt tears prick at the edges of her eyes, she blinked them away rapidly and hurried to think happier thoughts. She did not want every moment of happiness to be tainted with tears of sadness. She wanted to remember her parents fondly, and with joy in her heart. Madeline was grateful to have Margaret by her side.

The Autumn Ball was mainly for the older children to display all that they had learned over the course of their time at Kinsington, though all were welcome to join in on the festivities. The ball was a time for these families to make and reaffirm acquaintances.

Rose nudged Madeline and after gently chiding her for being up in the clouds too long, Rose ushered them to join the others on the front lawn. Due to the size of the party, the chosen picnic grounds were within walking distance. A mile, at most, from the school. The girls joined Cassandra, Penelope, and Rianne before the group began the quick walk to the grounds for the picnic.

The girls chattered happily, as did many of the other students who had also formed small groups of friends. Mrs. DeVeaux felt one side of her lips twinge upwards when she saw how much joy this simple outing had brought to the children. She felt they deserved this treat after theyd worked so hard in their classes. She remembered how hard it was to be responsible young girl who kept up with her difficult studies.